Chapter 2

***

This is how it unfolded.

Sweat trickled down the coachman's brow and stung his eyes. He repeatedly wiped it away, his grip on the reins tightening to prevent them from slipping.

Excitement coursed through him, knowing he would be handsomely rewarded for safely delivering the carriage to its destination.

'What the hell is that...!'

As expected, a thick, saccharine smoke enveloped the figure inside the carriage.

Her eyes glowed with a sinister crimson hue, and the tight ropes binding her had dissolved as swiftly as the rain.

It was inconceivable that this could be the Oracle Demon King, as someone had shouted.

'This, this, this is how I'm going to die?!'

He couldn't figure it out, so his thoughts kept drifting to the bad side.

The coachman's hand on the reins was shaking.

Bang!

Reina's hand shot out from right next to his face.

"Aaaahhh!"

The terrified coachman let out a piercing scream, causing him to jerk to the side. Startled, the horse swerved off the road and reared up before finally settling down.

Within moments, a composed Reina emerged from the carriage and approached the bewildered coachman, circling around him cautiously.

"Are you alright?"

Unsurprisingly, there was no response from the coachman, who seemed to have been frightened beyond words.

Reina hadn't intended to harm him; she had merely intended to tap lightly on the carriage and ask him to make a stop at the inn for a quick wash-up.

Regrettably, she had only inhabited this body for a month, making it challenging to control her immense power.

In truth, Reina was the antagonist in a game called "This World with the Power of Love."

Her role was that of the final boss, tormenting the female protagonist until ultimately being defeated by the force of love.

'No big magic, just the power of love... No way.'

If you asked her why she became the owner of a horrible body that was subjected to such unearthly magic.

It was a long story.

In her previous life, she had relied on life support.

While she didn't suffer from any severe ailments, her body was inherently frail.

Despite that, she had managed to live until the age of twenty. If asked whether she regretted not having a longer life...

No, she never held any regrets. As the youngest daughter of a destitute family, whose sole possessions were their daughters, life had never been kind to her.

There was no money to spare for her treatment. Her condition showed no signs of improvement, and with numerous other children to care for, her family faced the burden of uncertainty.

Though they never uttered those words aloud, she could discern their inner turmoil reflected in their eyes.

Every hospital bill they paid, every time they witnessed her suffering, confined to her room, their heavy sighs weighed upon her like a burden.

It pained her deeply to witness their struggle, knowing she only had a few remaining years to live.

In a life that seemed to culminate in suffering, she found solace in the notion that it would soon come to an end.