Chapter 36

***

The next day, Rostin arrived at Reina's mansion bright and early, armed with freshly drawn title transfer papers and a carriage loaded with gold coins.

Reina, just waking up and preparing to eat breakfast, was puzzled by the urgency of his visit.

Even though he is a Duke's young master, he doesn't even eat? Reina had wondered.

"Good morning. But isn't it too early? Just like last time, why are you coming so early? Aren't you even sleeping?"

By last time, she meant the time they'd bumped into each other in front of the greenhouse in the early morning hours.

"Oh, I'm here early because I'm trying to avoid a set schedule. Was it rude?"

Unlike Rostin, Reina didn't have a specific schedule, so it wasn't that run.

She had been looking forward to this morning since last night and wanted to eat first, right now.

"No, you're not here with bad news, so it's not rude, but have you had breakfast?"

"Hmm? No, not yet. I'll eat it when I get back."

"Well, since you're here, let's eat together. Mia tends to make a pretty generous meal, so there should be enough for you."

It was an out-of-the-blue offer, and not for lunch or dinner, but for breakfast.

Caught off guard by the unexpected gesture, Rostin hesitated, puzzled by the notion of sharing a morning meal in such circumstances.

"Do you know Mia? She's incredible. Her cooking is almost divine, like the work of a master craftsman.

Despite his lack of response, Reina persisted in extolling Mia's talents.

In reality, Mia's meals were abundant, ensuring no one left the table hungry, even when they were already full.

Yet, Reina was determined to showcase Mia's cooking to Rostin and his men.

You don't have someone like Mia in your castle, do you? Well, I have her here. Try her food and prepare to be envious.

Reina said with a smile, attempting to conceal her true emotions.

While Rostin wasn't obligated to dine at Reina's mansion, his presence could foster better relations between them. Despite the dismissal of charges against Reina, Rostin was still a nobleman and a significant figure within her territory. Dining together could be a step towards mutual understanding.

"Alright, I'll give it a try."

"Mia, prepare three additional servings, my friend will be joining us for breakfast."

"... Friend?"

Suddenly? You and me?

Rostin's expression hardened, as if he'd heard something ridiculous.

What, you're hurting people's feelings. Reina pouted.

"What, you don't like friends? It's nice to have friends when you're in the same rank."

"I don't need friends."

But Rostin's next words made Reina's heart sink.

What a melancholy sentiment, uttered with such confidence.

Rostin's assertion stemmed from his status as a young master, likely lacking genuine companionship in his circle.

While his declaration maintained the hierarchical order he was accustomed to, for Reina, it held a different weight altogether.