Chapter 62

It almost seemed as if he wanted Reina to be as ruthless as the Demon King.

This sentiment was evident in his conversation with the Saint. He mentioned that the existence of the Demon King would soon provide her with an opportunity to make a name for herself.

In his mind, the Demon King could never choose peace; they were destined to commit evil deeds, and the Saint was meant to counter them.

'Why? Such thinking leads to unnecessary sacrifice...'

This perspective was uncharacteristic of a High Priest who valued peace above all else. It was perplexing.

Aden found it odd that he was even contemplating this.

As the High Priest fell silent and the dining hall grew quiet, the Saint began to work her magic on his injured hand.

The wound, once horribly embedded with shards of glass, started to heal cleanly.

"This is a spell I learned a few days ago. Didn't I mention earlier that I had learned new magic? It's healing magic, though I'm not yet proficient. But I'll keep improving!"

Unaware of the gravity of the situation, the Saint smiled brightly, as if seeking approval.

Suddenly, the High Priest's vacant eyes seemed to snap back to awareness.

Or perhaps it was a flicker of madness, though no one noticed.

After examining his healed palm, the High Priest abruptly seized the Saint's hand.

"What is it, High Priest...?!"

"I see, I see, I just had an idea. It's all thanks to you, Saint."

"Me? Really? Because of me?"

The Saint was visibly pleased, uncertain but hopeful. A smile reappeared on the High Priest's face.

"Yes, I'll be busy soon, so get some rest. We should conclude our meal here because I have something urgent to attend to."

"Yes, I will!"

The Saint replied cheerfully. Both rose from their seats and exited the dining hall.

Aden, watching them leave, felt a sudden pang of frustration. Something was off, though he couldn't pinpoint exactly what it was. He couldn't shake off Kaelan's words from his mind.

"What do you know? Don't you think I came here to do this from the beginning? Don't you think I wanted to have the title of having slain a Demon King?

Initially, he thought Kaelan might have been brainwashed by the Demon King, but now he felt increasingly uneasy.

'I think I'll stay here for now.'

He decided it was necessary to keep an eye on the Saint and the High Priest for a while.

As they exited the dining hall, Aden grabbed a passing priest.

"I need you to find me a room to stay in. A room as close to the Saint and the High Priest as possible."

***

After setting the village on fire initially, Reina returned several more times.

The villagers kept coming back, asking her to light their homes too.

At first, they were skeptical, only seeking her help after seeing others warm and safe. Many felt deeply ashamed for doubting her and for asking so late.