Chapter 37

Because of the situation, everyone waited for him to stop crying, just like yesterday.

However, despite their anticipation, Kaelan's weeping persisted for an extended period, ultimately leading him to have breakfast alone in his chambers, still in tears.

Once the tearful Kaelan had retreated to his room, the others were able to relish a pleasant breakfast.

Reina and the other residents of the manor savored their meal with delight, as was their custom, while Rostin and his companions were momentarily struck speechless by the unexpectedly exquisite flavors.

"What do you think? Quite delicious, isn't it?"

Reina queried, a hint of satisfaction evident in her tone, despite not being the one who prepared the meal.

Two of Rostin's men, inadvertently joining in the meal, nodded in agreement.

"I hesitate to admit it, but this surpasses the fare we dined on at the Imperial Palace."

Despite its apparent simplicity and lack of variety in ingredients, the quality was undeniable.

"Because the chef is exceptionally skilled."

Reina directed her gaze towards Mia. Mia, her cheeks flushed with pride from the recent string of compliments, scratched her cheek bashfully.

"Thank you."

No further accolades were exchanged.

Observing the youthful appearance of the chef, Rostin couldn't help but inquire with curiosity.

"She seems pretty young, but where did she learn her skills? I mean, how did you manage to get this chef?"

He was now genuinely curious as to why this manor in the middle of nowhere kept getting more and more people, and not just the ones they needed.

"In fact, she's my butler's daughter. She pursued culinary studies abroad in the capital, only to be rejected due to her gender."

"...She was expelled simply because she's a woman?"

Rostin repeated in disbelief.

Although he was an extra who didn't even appear in the game, he seemed to have an open mind

"Yes. That's how she found her way here, under the care of the butler. Recognizing her talent, I entrusted her with this role."

A hint of self-satisfaction laced his words.

"You're envious, aren't you?"

Reina probed, prompting a moment of silence. Rostin appeared contemplative.

Indeed, he harbored envy, for he couldn't recall witnessing many women within the confines of the duke's castle, aside from the maids. In his world, knighthood, intellectual pursuits, and advisory roles were predominantly male domains. The castle's female occupants were relegated to menial tasks.

It shouldn't have been dictated by gender, but sadly, it was an unspoken reality he had yet to confront.

"...Yes, I envy you."

His mood sank unnecessarily. But then he realized that he was glad he realized it now.

Reina hummed and resumed her meal, cheered up by Rostin's praise.

Naturally, she remained vigilant, just in case Rostin broached the subject of offering Mia a position at the Duke's castle.

Fortunately, that discussion didn't arise until the conclusion of the meal.