Chapter 20

***

The following morning, before dawn, Rostin departed from the castle.

His intention was to visit the mansion, likely unoccupied at this early hour, and assess the situation.

Fortunately or unfortunately, thanks to the princess's magic clearing a path, the journey to the mansion was surprisingly easy.

Until recently, the vicinity of the Abyssal Mansion had been challenging to navigate. Now, however, it was as convenient as the well-maintained streets of the capital.

While it was a task that happened almost incidentally while clearing away melted snow monsters and testing abilities, Rostin couldn't shake the suspicion that she had cleared the way in advance to conquer the northern region.

Upon arriving at the Abyssal Mansion a short while later, Rostin meticulously surveyed the surroundings.

Despite his visit only two weeks ago, the area around the mansion had undergone significant changes.

'...It was strange when I received the report, but seeing it in person is even more surprising.'

In reality, it was more astonishing.

It left him wondering about the Princess of the East's activities in the chilly northern lands.

Of course, there were already reports from Chase about her endeavors, such as cutting down trees to build a greenhouse.

Lo and behold, on the other side of the mansion's walls, three structures that appeared to be greenhouses were visible in the front yard.

It was bewilderingly expansive, almost confirming the reports of daily farming.

'In the reports, it mentioned vegetables and fruits for ingredients, but...'

There remained uncertainties.

Who knew what kinds of herbs or plants she might be cultivating inside?

This woman, who effortlessly banished formidable creatures with a single spell, was now immersed in farming?

Even if she was driven away, she was still the Princess of the Duke ruling the East. It just didn't make sense.

Rostin felt the need to see with his own eyes what was truly happening.

'Considering Chase is likely under some sort of influence...'

If he discovered something fundamentally different from Chase's report, it might suggest she was planning something suspicious.

Despite the burning desire to rush beyond the mansion and investigate, unfortunately, the resident was an unmarried noblewoman.

Even in the North, where the Duke's authority was absolute, entering a single woman's mansion without permission was not an option, regardless of being unobserved.

With a heavy heart, Rostin meticulously examined the walls surrounding the mansion.

It was then that he felt warmth near the mansion's wall.

'Black smoke. No, flames?'

It was the Princess's magic he had seen before.

This time, it was a faint, semi-transparent flame surrounding the mansion's wall.

Though not entirely sure, it seemed the color deepened with higher temperatures. Rostin cautiously extended his hand into the flame.

'...Warm. Quite warm, indeed.'