Chapter 4

She muttered something in passing, and the coachman, who had just opened his eyes, pulled a piece of paper from his raggedy arms and read the address.

"Abyssal Manor, Duchy of Wintersnow, north-northwest end of Iceberry Village..."

Abyssal Manor, what a name.

She hoped it wasn't this place, but unfortunately it was clearly written on the front door of the wall surrounding the mansion in front of her.

"Ha."

The curse was on the tip of her tongue, but she couldn't bring herself to utter it in front of the horrified coachman.

She raised a brow.

'That's really too much, to say the least. Why did they build the mansion in the first place?'

She thought she'd be happy if she could sell the gold and silver treasures she brought back from the duchy and live comfortably.

'I thought if I brought this much, including the golden statue, I wouldn't have any problems until my old age.'

But alas, it seemed that when it rains, it pours, and when things go wrong, they go horribly wrong.

'This is no place for humans to live, and all the demons will freeze to death.'

The chilling wind sliced through her exposed flesh like a razor-sharp blade, and the frozen terrain appeared utterly inhospitable, not even capable of sustaining microscopic life.

'How in the world am I supposed to survive here? No, I'm meant to perish. Oh, right. That's it. You're too cowardly to end me yourself, so you send me to just meet my demise on my own, you despicable scum.'

As she strode away, the coachman suddenly dropped to his knees in the snow.

"P-please spare me, I beg you! I have a wife!"

Hey, mister. I already told you I wasn't going to kill you. Why do you keep accusing me of murder?

She had no intention of carrying out such an act. Every opportunity he got, he pleaded for his life, turning it into some twisted play of pretend.

Rubbing her eyes in disbelief, she suddenly felt an intense heat. Lowering her gaze, she discovered black flames engulfing her entire body.

The snow around her melted away in an instant.

"...What is this?"

Curiosity sparked within her, and she cautiously reached out her hand towards the coachman. A smoky aura emanated from her fingertips, dissipating the snow in the vicinity with a resounding roar.

"H-hyuk!"

The startled coachman clutched at his chest. Reina herself stood in stunned silence, momentarily robbed of words.

'...Why is this power so overwhelming?'

To her surprise, Reina hadn't anticipated the sheer magnitude of her magic's potency. All this time, she had restrained and suppressed it, never fully unleashing its true potential.

In a state of panic, Reina cast anxious glances between her hand engulfed in black flames and the steaming, barren ground beneath her feet.

It was reluctantly becoming clear why the Duke had made such a fuss about her abilities.

'Truly, moderation seems to be an alien concept to them. And really, if Reina possessed this level of power, she could obliterate every single main and supporting character with a single strike. So why did she end up losing?'