Chapter 25

He probably wouldn't have agreed so readily if he knew she would make such an unusual request.

Unfortunately, the acceptance had already been granted, and quite willingly at that.

Moreover, Reina had a look of great anticipation on her face.

"...Okay. You have my word."

Rostin instructed the knights to load the gold limbs of the Great First Duke onto the carriage.

With faces displaying disapproval, the knights transferred the golden body to the carriage.

While Reina and Rostin were momentarily alone, he hesitated before asking her.

"You mentioned being abandoned at the age of 8. Is that true?"

He wasn't simply prying for personal information; he thought it might be helpful in his interrogation of the butler.

Of course, he couldn't rule out that it was because he was still suspicious of her black magic, but Rostin did his best not to show it.

"Yes, it's true. I was cast aside as soon as my magic manifested. I was abandoned in the underground of the mansion for the past ten years until I was suddenly driven out not long ago."

Reina shrugged her shoulders as if to indicate there wasn't much else to it.

"Anything else you're curious about?"

He was about to shake his head, pondering if she was a Demon King or not, when he suddenly realized there was one thing he hadn't checked yet.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to see the greenhouse the princess built."

He hadn't checked the greenhouse yet.

Only then would he know for sure what the princess was up to and whether or not Chase had been influenced.

"That's easy. Come here."

Fortunately, Reina readily complied with Rostin's request.

No, in fact, she seemed kind of excited. She looked like a child about to show off something she loved.

"Veronica!"

Once outside with Rostin, she called out to Veronica, who was watching the proceedings near the mansion's front door with the others.

Apparently not expecting to be called by name, she was startled and hurried over to Reina.

"Yes, Princess."

"As the head gardener, I was wondering if you would show us the greenhouse you built."

"What? Me?"

To the Duke?

Veronica was stunned. Rostin narrowed his eyes.

He and Veronica stared at each other.

The village of Iceberry, closest to the Duke's castle, didn't have many inhabitants.

Not surprising, since Veronica's husband and son both worked at the Duke's castle.

"Uh-huh. I don't know enough to introduce myself. Crops are your specialty, right?"

That was true. The greenhouses were managed by Veronica, and Reina was merely exploring like a lamb every day.

In any case, Rostin and Veronica, who unexpectedly found themselves with time on their hands, exchanged awkward greetings.

"Oh, it's been a while..."

"Yes... You've become the princess's head gardener?"

"What? Oh, yes..."