Chapter 17

***

Crop cultivation proceeded more smoothly than expected.

Veronica mainly focused on crops that could thrive with proper environmental conditions, and her extensive knowledge played a significant role.

She possessed almost expert-level knowledge in the field.

In addition to her expertise, the butler's enthusiasm added to the mix.

Knowledge and practical skills combined, and their coordination was impeccable.

Although they faced occasional challenges, most tasks could be handled by Reina.

Some tasks involved more physical effort, like breaking up rocky soil or quickly digging deep into the ground, but everyone worked together to make crop cultivation feel like smooth sailing, and even some unexpected help appeared.

"Hey, you there! What's with the lurking and peering around?"

Reina pointed towards a knight who had been hiding behind a wooden column at the back of the estate.

"Me? Oh, you see, um..."

He couldn't just say 'I'm not that kind of person.' It was a suspicious situation even to himself. The knight scratched his head and emerged from behind the wooden pillar.

"Uh, well..."

What could he answer?

Fortunately, he had a prepared excuse just in case he got caught.

"I came to thank you, and I was very grateful the other day. If it hadn't been for you, I would have died."

He ducked his head, then lifted it, smiling as brightly as he could.

"Hmm?"

Reina crossed her arms. Died? Who was he talking about? She had a puzzled look on her face.

'Am I really that forgettable? I've heard a lot of people say that I look handsome...'

The knight looked sad for a moment, then cheerfully replied.

"Didn't you make a flame above my head once upon a time?"

Only then did Reina recall who he was.

He was the one she had tested to see if she could generate flames for heating.

So she recognized him, but why? Reina blinked and asked with a sense of curiosity.

In reality, there was no particular reason for him to come to express gratitude.

It wasn't that cold, and both Reina and the knight were aware of this.

But the reason he'd shown up like this was because... It was because of the sudden mention of Reina in his mission.

***

It happened just a few days ago.

Under the orders of Lord Rostin, the knight embarked on an exhaustive search throughout the northern region in an attempt to locate a missing wizard.

Despite their efforts, the surviving wizard had seemingly vanished from the north, leaving the knight with no substantial leads.

It's not accurate to say they 'never found the wizard'—the outcome wasn't as dire as that.

Fortunately, the knight managed to uncover a trail of the wizard through a northern route.

"It was an exceptionally confidential assignment. The task was to eliminate a woman with silver hair and red eyes residing in the deep abyssal mansion to the north-northwest."