Chapter 35

"What, what, what is this..! What is this...?!"

He couldn't believe his reflection in the spoon. No, it was incredulous.

In fact, it was hard for anyone to believe. Kaelan was now balding and missing his eyebrows.

"Huh? You realize now? I burned it right when we first met?"

Reina asked incredulously, shoveling fresh salad into her mouth.

"This is ridiculous! How, how can you expect me to live without hair!"

"If you dared to challenge the Demon King, you should have given your life for it."

What's the big deal about a little hair? Reina spoke in a low voice.

He had lost a bit of hair, and he hadn't given his life.

In any case, Kaelan thought, losing her hair might as well have been losing her life.

"Heyk, I was wrong, it's all over now!"

"Mmmm- dinner is delicious tonight, Mia, and hiring you was the best decision of my life."

"Thank you. You're flattering me."

Nobody paid much attention to Kaelan's distress.

They were just happy to enjoy another delicious dinner.

But as Kaelan began to wipe the tears from her eyes, Chase, who was sitting across from him, couldn't help but speak up.

"It's hair, it'll grow back, and if it's not there, it makes no difference, so don't cry at a sacred meal over something so insignificant."

But the words were not particularly comforting. Kaelan's brow furrowed.

"That's not fair! Sniff! My vibrant red hair and red eyes were my signature... Sniff, sniff!"

It didn't look like it, but then again, he was the type to care about his appearance.

At this point, Anna realized that he looked so pitiful, so she comforted him.

"Don't worry too much, it probably didn't burn to the roots, it'll grow back."

"Don't tell me what you know!"

But her consolation was of little use to Kaelan.

In fact, it hurt his pride that Anna, who had been doing menial tasks, would comfort him.

How dare he yell at her precious maid when he took her hostage?

Enraged, Reina used her ability. A saccharine fire flower burst into flames above Kaelan's head.

"A, agh!"

He screamed in anger, jumping to his feet.

Still, a hot flame on the scalp is a bit much.

As everyone freaked out, Reina quietly told him to stop freaking out over something that wasn't even hot.

"Okay, okay, just pretend it's your hair. Is it a winter cool tone? Black looks good on you."

Oh, it wasn't hot, then, no need to cry. Everyone relaxed and resumed eating.

Kaelan, who had been sobbing alone for a while, finally sat down and picked up her spoon, hungry.

Then, as if on cue, Reina snuffed out the flames, and he never cried over his hair again.

***

After dinner, Veronica returned to the village laden with freshly harvested crops and fruits. Despite the late hour, uncertain of potential buyers, she called out loudly to the villagers.