Chapter 45

***

His frustration simmered as he saw the invitingly clear pathway, a stark contrast to the looming threat it harbored.

'Demon King bastard. You underestimate me.'

How on earth was Duke Wintersnow putting up with this miserable situation?

Aden gritted his teeth. His resolve to slay the demon king with his own hands only strengthened.

When he arrived at the Abyssal Manor, he was momentarily speechless when he saw the black fire flowers on the walls of the manor.

How dare they use magic so brazenly.

'You still look down on me.'

His disdain for the demon's audacity deepened, evoking unexpected sympathy for the beleaguered Duke Wintersnow.

With resolve coursing through him, he entertained the notion that today might witness the Empire's most powerful man rewrite his legacy.

'I'll kill that arrogant demon with my own hands.'

Confident in his abilities, he meticulously surveyed the mansion's perimeter, scaling its walls with caution.

He invoked every defensive spell at his disposal, wary of potential traps or lurking guards.

Fortunately—or unfortunately—no such hindrances awaited him; the demon king had neglected to fortify the wall with any elaborate snares or sentinels.

It was easy on people. He was so proud of himself, and his pride was hurt.

He didn't know how it had been so confident that it had created such a defenseless environment.

If he were to lose to the Demon King in this situation, he would have to bite his tongue and die.

Aden vowed that this would never happen, and he moved stealthily, his senses alert.

He wrapped his offensive magic around the tip of his tongue, ready for battle, just in case.

He approached the manor's main building with all his senses tense and ready.

Poof! Something like a stone flew at Aden's body.

"Piiiik-!"

An eerie cry followed.

'Damn, I've been spotted!'

Realization struck: he'd been detected.

In a flurry, he unleashed attacks in all directions, yet it seemed as though he struck nothing—not even a hint of life.

Panic rising, he dashed to exit the mansion, only to have a dagger narrowly miss him from behind.

A confrontation was imminent.

Drawing his sword, he whirled around, meeting his opponent's blade with a resounding clash.

"What the hell? You're pretty good, aren't you?"

Kaelan's eyes widened as he jumped up from his sleep.

It was Aden's voice. He twisted his sword, trying to find an opening, but there was none. It wasn't easy.

Clang! Clang!

Swords clashed again and again in the air. The fight was inconclusive due to their similar skill levels.

It wasn't a good idea to fight for time like this, because the Demon King would surely emerge in the meantime.

Aden enchanted his sword, and a gray flame that resembled his hair wrapped around the blade.