Chapter 31

"What brings you here...?"

Reina's eyes widened at the sudden appearance of an unexpected figure.

The High Priest mirrored her surprise, casting a quizzical glance at Rostin.

Returning Reina's gaze, Rostin replied,

"I was worried."

"Oh, you shouldn't have been, I'm not that fragile."

The High Priest scratched his head, as if he had worried unnecessarily. He also looked a little apologetic.

"That's precisely why. Because you are not fragile."

Huh? What do you mean? Reina frowned.

The High Priest understood and gave him a puzzled look.

"...Hmm, I see. That's odd. I wonder why that would be."

Without bothering to answer, Rostin's attention shifted to Duke Rubellite, sprawled on the ground with his clothes and hair gone.

It was a sight he would rather not witness, even in his dreams, but he couldn't ignore it.

He didn't bother to ask who did it, as he'd already been through it once.

His expression hardened, he took off his coat and tossed it to the Duke.

"Put it on, Duke Rubellite."

In a panic, the scantily clad Duke sought refuge behind the High Priest. This man, who had consistently neglected Reina from the start, offered no assistance, and always took cover in such situations.

The High Priest glanced back at the Duke and smiled, seemingly unfazed.

"Only his hair and clothes are missing, so there's no need to worry."

"I know. And I wasn't worried. I trust the princess wouldn't do that."

His tone conveyed complete trust in Reina, as if he didn't need to verify that she wouldn't harm the Duke.

'...What, you know she wouldn't do that. Who would say that? That's a surprise.'

It was a statement that could be misconstrued by the uninitiated.

However, Reina understood the sentiment behind his words. She understood why he felt the need to express such confidence.

Through her previous victories over demons, she had demonstrated a consistent reluctance to harm others.

'Well, I suppose you could call it trust.'

Not the trust born of friendship, but a deeper understanding that had developed between them.

"That's right, we're from the same neighborhood, so it's possible."

Unlike Reina, who quickly organized her thoughts, the High Priest had been bothered by Rostin's tone earlier.

He wondered why he'd befriended the princess when he'd been so blindly following him.

The High Priest's eyes narrowed; he harbored disapproval toward the person before him and the entirety of the current situation.

He glared at Reina, the one factor leading the Oracle astray and complicating matters further.

The glare was unpleasant, carrying a mix of complex and nuanced feelings—intrigue mingled with a dislike for the situation.

Reina furrowed her brow.

"Why do you keep staring at me like I'm some ornament? It's offensive, so could you please stop? I don't want to witness him shivering."