Chapter 33

With a grunt, Kaelan slowly blinked his dull eyes open.

'Where... Where am I? What happened?'

He tried to move, but he couldn't. It felt like his whole body was tied tightly to a rope or something.

The darkness enveloping him was disorienting, making it impossible to discern his surroundings.

Moreover, the unusual warmth of the air felt out of place for the northern region. Despite his constitution, a feverish heat suffused his entire body, drenching him in sweat.

'Why is it so hot? Have I been transported somewhere else?'

Attempting to make sense of his predicament, Kaelan's eyes gradually adjusted to the dim surroundings.

Expecting a dank and dismal dungeon befitting a captive of a demon king, he was surprised to find himself in a plain yet tastefully decorated room.

'What is going on here?'

Demon bastard. How dare she use such terrible magic on this body, causing him to faint.

Even thinking about it again, he felt ridiculous and ashamed.

How could she melt all his clothes and make a person... a person like that?

Kaelan could not quite put into words how he felt at the time.

The stress was overwhelming. He might as well have been patted down to dust on a rainy day.

'The Demon King...'

She wasn't dubbed a demon for nothing; she knew all too well how to inflict suffering upon others.

He didn't even remember the dagger in his shoulder.

And the black flame spell that kept following him even when he dodged.

It was ominous, and he burned with hostility toward Reina.

'Yet, if she has chosen to keep me alive, it means she'll soon come for me... whether for interrogation or torture.'

That would be his moment to strike. Despite his earlier fluster, he wouldn't miss this opportunity again.

Even if circumstances were dire—say, if he were stripped of his clothes and rendered completely vulnerable—he'd seize the chance to slay the demon.

Grimacing, still unaware of his bald state, he mused,

'Indeed, to vanquish a formidable opponent like me in one swift blow... the High Priest's warning was warranted.'

If his adversary truly was the Oracle's Demon King, the High Priest should have forewarned him rather than simply instructing him to proceed.

Kaelan felt a little resentful of the High Priest. No, on second thought, he was an asshole.

Amidst his inner turmoil and curses, the door creaked open, accompanied by the distinct click of an unlocked bolt.

"Come out."

It was the bastard who had thrown the dagger at him earlier.

But the hit rate was so high that he couldn't easily dodge it.

Damn it. How the hell is he supposed to come out in this body? He was tied up all over, and his shoulder is injured.

As he watched, Chase hoisted him up and dragged him into what appeared to be an office.

Though opulent, the room was modestly furnished—a small desk, a couch, and a sparse bookshelf were all it took to qualify it as a home office or study.