Chapter 41

For three days, Duke Rubellite languished in the deepest chambers of the temple, still reeling from the aftermath of Reina's assault.

Just four days prior, he had returned to the ducal residence, prompted by Duchess Rubellite's concern over his prolonged absence.

The unseen threat posed by Reina continued to haunt him, leaving the Duchess exasperated by his inability to articulate his fears.

"My love, what has happened to you? Please, talk to me. And what on earth happened to your hair?!"

"It, it, it, it, it, it's going to kill me, that sinister thing!"

The Duke's demeanor bordered on madness, leaving his wife overwhelmed and distraught, her face buried in her hands.

Meanwhile, Felix, the Duke's eldest son, watched in secret from the partially open doorway, tears streaming down his face.

"Father... Mother...!"

He couldn't comprehend the transformation of his once formidable father into a shell of his former self.

Terrified of being discovered in his moment of vulnerability, Felix retreated to a secluded corner between the cabinets, seeking solace.

Only ten years old, he sobbed uncontrollably, his face buried in his knees as he struggled to contain his emotions.

'This is all because I keep crying...!'

He cried every day because he heard strange sounds at night, like a woman's voice screaming, and his father became increasingly strange.

'But he was fine not long ago..'

Upon returning from an outing with the High Priest, he exhibited sudden, erratic behavior, as though his sanity had slipped away.

'It can't be because of me...'

He refused to believe that his relentless tears had driven his father to such a state.

As he wiped away the last traces of his tears, a commotion outside caught his attention.

The High Priest had arrived for a visit.

Just as he was about to enter the Duke's quarters, the butler intercepted him.

"I regret to inform you, Your Excellency, that the Duke is unavailable..."

"I am aware, which is precisely why I have come."

The High Priest's gentle smile hinted at his foreknowledge of the Duke's condition.

'... Is he here to help my father?'

In a display of deep remorse, the butler bowed deeply, stepping aside to clear the High Priest's path.

"I beg your forgiveness, Your Excellency!"

"It's quite alright. Please ensure no one disturbs us."

With unwavering composure, the High Priest brushed past the butler and disappeared into the Duke's chambers.

Moments later, the Duchess emerged, tears cascading down her cheeks.

Driven by curiosity and concern, Felix contorted his small frame into an even tighter crouch as he stealthily entered the Duke's bedroom.

Thankfully, his presence went unnoticed, and the door soon closed firmly behind him.

With a gentle slap to the still-dazed Duke's cheek, the High Priest roused him from his stupor and spoke in hushed tones.

"Duke, there is a task I must entrust to you."

"What is it, High Priest...?"

Though still groggy, the Duke managed to open his eyes wide, eager to hear the High Priest's instructions.