Chapter 24

Furrowing her brow, Reina inquired,

"Who's that? That guy?"

He appeared injured, but why was he tossed so pitifully?

As if caught off guard by the question, Rostin's response was a beat slower.

"... He is a butler for Duke Rubellite."

"Oh... really?"

The only time she had glimpsed his face was briefly before being exiled to the North. Moreover, she had been preoccupied with gathering treasure and had little interest in him, especially given his association with Duke Rubellite's house.

"Why are you showing me your butler's face, or rather, why have you brought him here?"

She pondered what purpose the butler of the family that had banished her to this place could serve. Rostin tilted his head inquisitively.

"This man seems to know you very well, yet you speak as if he is a stranger."

"That's because I've only seen him a few times. Did the butler do something wrong?"

Was he seeking accountability?

Otherwise, bringing someone like him here seemed inexplicable.

"Yes, it appears that he dared to lie to me."

"I-it's not a lie! I d-didn't know! I, I, I didn't know anything about the princess, and as she says, I've only seen her a few times....!"

As the situation turned unfavorable, the butler chose to feign ignorance. Reina furrowed her brow and questioned,

"What didn't you know?"

"He claims he didn't know that the lady used magic."

At that moment, Reina comprehended the butler's motive for lying.

Banished from the family and discarded in the North, he likely wished to disavow any connection to her.

Given her status, Reina decided not to probe further. Delving into specifics would only entail admitting the destiny of being born as a demon king.

Contemplating whether to subtly side with the butler by suggesting he stay home and feign ignorance, Reina faced a challenge to her rationality when Rostin uttered the next words.

"That's strange. Having lived in the same mansion until becoming an adult, he claims to have seen the princess only a few times and even accepted an assassination request."

"Assassination?"

Suddenly, a sense of foreboding gripped her.

Casting Rostin a demanding look for a more detailed explanation, Reina's expression turned stern as the butler, frightened, vehemently denied the accusation.

"N-no! N-no assassination! Why would I, why would I do such a thing!"

"You don't seem to realize that in the North, there are privileges granted by the Emperor himself, so there are no secrets. I know everything you've done."

The butler hurriedly tried to excuse himself.

"I-I understand! But, if you entrust a request while concealing your identity, even a duke like yourself may remain unaware...?!"

"That's correct. You understand it well. Just as the client who sought to eliminate the lady suggested, initiating a request anonymously allows one to keep their identity concealed from the outset."

Rostin's expression contorted. Though lacking a direct admission, it resembled a confession.

Only then did the butler realize he had fallen into a cunning trap.