Chapter 47

***

Kaelan stood guard at the door to the room where Aden was being held.

It was funny, watching an intruder as an intruder, but it was only because of the dawn's events that Kaelan's credibility had risen.

He pulled up a chair in front of the tightly closed doorway and sat down, pondering something.

'I believe I've seen him before.'

Recollections surfaced of encountering Aden, a natural occurrence given their shared noble status. Their paths were bound to intersect at various social gatherings and annual functions.

Moreover, both Kaelan and Aden were seasoned warriors. Recognition seemed inevitable, given their prominent status in society.

Regrettably, circumstances prevented them from encountering each other in their usual guise.

When they first confronted each other in the front yard, Aden had his hair and face covered, and Kaelan had already lost his hair and eyebrows.

It had grown up a bit, but it was a far cry from the way he used to look.

And then there was Reina, who had taken everything from Aden, so he too had become a different person.

Still, his features were the same, and he could almost recognize him.

'But who could he be?'

Reina and Rostin appeared in front of Kaelan, who was deeply troubled.

"Open the door."

"Huh? Okay."

The time of reckoning had finally come. What more would she take from Aden?

Inwardly, Kaelan opened the door in anticipation, and a wisp of heat escaped from inside. His breath caught in his throat. It was almost furnace-like.

"I-isn't he dead?"

Covering his mouth and nose, Kaelan frowned. Rostin's expression hardened as well, and he took a step back from the unfamiliar heat.

"Lower the temperature."

Reina lowered the temperature of the fire and slipped inside.

Aden was still not quite awake. Luckily, Kaelan had dressed him.

Reina, who'd just gotten Aden's jaw set, slapped him hard across the cheek.

"Wake up. What are you still sleeping for?"

He wasn't sleeping, but unfortunately, he had no excuse.

When one slap didn't wake him up, Reina slapped him a few more times.

Even though she specialized in magic, she was level 999, and soon Aden's cheeks were red and puffy.

Reina's unrelenting behavior took away Rostin's chance to be angry.

Kaelan, who was watching the pitiful figure closely, suddenly realized Aden's identity.

"Ah! This bastard, he's the Chronicle family's-!"

Aden opened his eyes just in time.

"...?! Demon King...!"

Aden's expression turned fierce at the sight of Reina in front of him upon waking up.

Slap!

Reina's hand slapped his cheek once more.

"Wake up, boy. I'm not a demon king."