Chapter 3: Briar

I sit down seeing my mom and elder woman wearing earrings and a jean jacket beside her. They both smile at me.

"Hey dear, I'm Diana." Diana introduces herself.

"Hey." I greet.

"Listen I couldn't help but see that Honda you pulled up in. I have a car I would really rather be rid of if you want it." She offers.

"I was thinking about going shopping for a car actually." I mutter seeing my mother smile. "You don't have to do that really I'm making it work." I tell her.

"Oh, nonsense dear. The old thing has been sitting in my drive for two weeks, seriously just take it." She begs.

"Diana's husband works on cars." My mother tells me and I nod.

"I can come by and look at it." I speak.

"Perfect." She smiles.

"Tell me Briar, is it like you remembered?" My mother asks.

"Pretty close." I mutter bringing a smile to her face.

"Oh, really then can I please convince you to move back home?" She asks.

"No mother." I tell her. "I like moving from place to place." I tell Diana.

"I don't blame you. I once was like that until I met my husband." She winks at me.

"Really what kind of places did you go to?" I get curious.

"I went to Paris, then New York for a bit, Jersey, San Diego." She lists.

"What part of New York?" I ask.

"Buffalo." She answers.

"I was in the Bronx for a while." I tell her and she smiles.

"Everybody calls New York the big apple but-"

"It really isn't special." We both say in unison making each other smile.

"At least when you've seen the greats." Diana finishes.

"Of course." I agree before looking at my mother.

"Briar was also in Jersey for a bit." My mother raves. "She is a great bartender." She raves about me. I am an only child so the bar wasn't really high for me. I'm glad I have parents that are very accepting of me.

We all enjoy lunch, me and Diana try to convince mom to travel a bit. We talk to her about Jersey and New York before we each pick a town from a state she lists to talk to her about. I have been to thirty-six states now, so I know a thing or two. Diana seems to have been around the block a bit too. She's really nice she even gives me a few tips for some of the town's she has visited. I actually note them in my phone in case I decide to go.

When we leave Diana gives me her address and I offer to follow her to look at the car. She said her husband could get rid of my car if I wanted and I agreed. I follow her to her house and stop outside a slightly similar house. I step out and she smiles at me.

"This is the car." She speaks pointing to a black Nissan that looks really new.

"Whose was it?" I ask.

"My son's." She answers. "He gave it back to me since I bought it for him." She explains, I see her digging into my purse before she tosses me a set of keys. I grab them without thinking and my mom arches a brow.

"Quick hands, Briar." She mutters. I see the door open to her house and I see a very similar man step out, Neil followed by Heath.

"Your son is Neil." I speak and she nods.

"Yes, he is." They both come down the steps.

"We've met." I nod politely. I see a truck pull up and my father honks the horn.

"I've got to go." She walks up to me. "I remembered I have that barbecue with the neighbors." She whispers making me nod.