Chapter 5: Briar

I walk back over to him arching a brow.

"Want another?" I ask.

"Sure." He answers. I quickly grab him another and he looks at my chest. I look down seeing him looking at the necklace, the necklace he gave me before I left.

"I usually have it tucked in my shirt." I mutter.

"I can't believe you still have it." I could swear I see a spark in his eyes and I feel it in me too.

"It was the only thing I had really." I whisper. "I left with nothing but my clothes some money my parents gave me and this." I put my hand on it. It's a heart with angel wing on it, there's a diamond in the middle. I can't count how many times people have told me to pawn it.

"Yeah, you left in a hurry." He remarks. I send him a glare and he holds up his hands once more. "I never said I blamed you, Briar." He speaks and I nod.

"I know." I mutter.

"How the hell do you get a job and start the same day?" He blurts.

"I needed the money and someone called out." I laugh answering him.

He leaves after that last drink and I finish my shift meeting the regulars. I take note of their orders and I listen about their long weeks, and I hear a bit about their jobs. I talk to some of the people at work, I meet a Jody. She seems nice she gives me a few pointers about remembering where everything is. Some of the alcohol hear seems a bit out of the way so I remember her cues.

"Everything here will seem a little odd at first especially some of the regulars." She speaks as we walk to our cars. "I moved here from Wisconsin. Where did you move from?" She asks.

"New York but I was just about everywhere before that." I tell her.

"Hey, I saw you talking to Neil, that's his name, right?" She questions and I nod.

"Yes, I grew up here." I tell her.

"Oh, did you know he owns that old oil company?" She asks and my eyes widen. He told me he never wanted to own the company.

"No, I did not." I answer her.

She gives me her phone number before I duck into my car feeling my eyes drift close. I drive home to the little trailer I started renting from the trailer park everyone talks about. Everyone has always hated this place, I myself have only heard about and see it on the way to school. I have had this place inspected twice, and I did three walkthroughs myself and had a lawyer look over the lease before I signed.

I bought all my own locks since the lease agreement allowed it, I have bought special locks for the windows too. Trashed all the 'free furniture' and bought my own. Wherever I move next, I am carrying it with me since I can't fucking afford to keep throwing money away. This place has had many horror stories and my dad was more than happy to help me reinforce it.

I quickly get undressed and into my bed after putting on some shorts and a tank and pull back the covers. I find my new bed really comfy as I make myself at home, comfortable and let myself drift off to sleep. I think I can make a home here, at least for a little bit. I wouldn't stay unless I knew I could handle it. And well, Heath, I'll face him if I have too, I was never one to actually run from something. I definitely won't start now.