Ch. 4: The Otter Box

Y/N POV

Zilean: I think... well, obviously, it's a bad case of PTSD, and you have avoided the problem for so damn long that you developed an alcoholic dependency. Shakey hands? 

I hold my hands as they shake. 

Zilean: Nausea? Feeling like you're running low on fumes? 

Y/N: I could use a nap... and a toilet... 

Zilean writes more in his notebook. 

Zilean: See, I never served in the Freljordian Task Force, but all the crazy stuff you guys find up there, I'm sure it changed your outlook on life. My memories sure did. I'll level with you, I resorted to the needle when things were bad after my village was bombed. 

Y/N: Oh shit... Icathia? You were around for that? 

Zilean: Yeah, that's when I met Braum... actually, I was a refugee with a military background, where Noxus scooped me up, I've been around the place. Anyway, my point is, this happened for a reason.

Y/N: What?

Zilean: All the pain you endured, the memories you made for yourself, the people that have perished and that have been saved by your hands. In your line of work, this will keep happening, and it's happening for a reason. 

Y/N: Am I like... cursed or something? 

Zilean: No! Runeterra's grace, no! You were put here, to save lives, to help people sleep at night, what you do is a good thing, and what you did before is what made you good at what you do now. You think all the booze is helping you float to the top, but no, it's not. 

Y/N: Ugh... man... my head. 

Zilean: Stop avoiding it! You've been avoiding it all your life after your service! FIGHT IT!!!

Braum: FIGHT IT!!!

Ashe: T-thank... you... 

*DISTANT EXPLOSIONS, GUN FIRING!* 

FUCK... I CAN FEEL...

Zilean: There it is... you with me? 

Y/N: I... 

Zilean: Come on, you got this.

IT'S LIKE... someone forcefully turning the gears in my head, grinding on them to get them moving again. 

It's like someone using a lock-breaker on a separate portion of my brain. 

Right then and there, I feel something click. 

Zilean... is so right, I have been just trying to drown out my pass with substance, booze and all kinds of shit, only to just run around in a fucking circle, while the demons pull at my strings. 

But for once, I'm in control. 

I HAVE been put here for a reason, and I HAVE to keep doing what I do best.

Zilean: You there? 

Y/N: Yeah... yeah, I am, I just, wow... I still feel like shit from the lack of alcohol in my system, but I can at least accept what I did with a sort of... grain of salt. 

Zilean: How big of grain? 

Y/N: I have killed innocent people in my past, not as a terrorist, but as an assignment. 

Zilean: How can you be sure they're innocent? Were they shooting at you? 

Y/N: Only because we blew up their homes, burnt their farms. 

Zilean: They were shooting at you, they wanted revenge for their burnt homes and farms, hmmm... they know that you're the leading force in a nation like that, why would they fight back?