Epil. 9: Behind the Mask

I finish adjusting the cufflinks, but I need a female input, so I turn to Vi, who's adjusting a dress. 

Y/N: I guess you're my sis? You wanna help your brother? 

Vi comes over, smirking and adjusting the collar, making sure the bowtie is straight. 

Y/N: You look incredible...

Evelynn: And so do you, darling. You know, this is going to be a wild party, so you go full penguin? Just... lose the tie... like this-

I feel... vivid, like a sudden drop in temperature. Was that me? 

*DISTANT DOOR SLAM!*

Kai'Sa: Hi...

Vi: ...people would want to see a more relaxed look from you. So, lose this tie, unbutton the top, it shows you look rich, and you don't give a shit about what people think of you, because you came to be comfortable. It shows you have yourself intact and are ready to give yourself to someone else. 

Y/N: Do people actually go to these things to find a partner? 

Vi: Yeah, they do, they hitch with someone who's under a mask, and then when we force everyone to take off their masks at the end, most likely they ditch them there. Simplemindedness is a plague now, Y/N, everyone cares about looks, and yet there are old world people like you or me that still wants to see if they know two plus two. 

We both snicker, then she puts her hands on my shoulder. 

Vi: You... are a gift from the stars, let me introduce you to Caitlyn, chief of the police. 

Y/N: What happened to Camille? 

Vi: She retired, and she's married, believe it or not... Illaoi didn't work out for Braum about a few years back so, you could guess who she got with. 

Y/N: Good for them, honestly, how come I don't see her at the bar? 

Vi: She's a stay-at-home wolf mom, and a vigilante now, so you probably never will.

Y/N: Huh...

Vi: Your death kickstarted that... alright, put this mask on! 

She gives me a golden skull... demon... mask, its engravings are psychedelic, and it has weight to it, so it's professionally made. I strap it to my face like I'm getting ready to rob something, and we leave the locker room. 

Already, people are showing up, and Caitlyn can be seen without her mask. 

Vi: Hey! You get my text?! 

I take my mask off, revealing myself to her. 

Cait: I did, but I didn't like the-

She freezes, staring at me as I smirk back at her. 

Y/N: Surprised, Cait? 

Cait: T-that you're here... or that your eyes are glowing now... what the fuck happened, where's your hair?!

Y/N: Jayce happened, guess this is what he meant at my funeral or whatever, right Vi. 

Vi: Right, he took your body and started testing stuff on it, this guy is a lab experiment! 

Cait: He's your brother, show some respect!

Y/N: No, it's fine, she's right, I literally am. I'm just... baffled, at how different the world is after ten years, and yet this place stayed marginally the same. 

Cait: Yeah, but hey, one thing hasn't changed. 

She picks up a shot glass with some tequila in it.