Epil. 15: Rusty's Great Return

Rusty: Eck... Ehh... *Otter noises* 

Keeper: Yeah... life hasn't been nice to this little guy. He's supposed to be a giant river otter, you know, the big ones? 

Y/N: Bigger than a dog... yeah... 

Keeper: He's underdeveloped, and he's near the end of his life. Old boy reached twelve last week, so any year is a gamble... 

Rusty: Ehhh... 

Rusty crawls to the edge of the cage, sniffing my fingers, then demanding the keeper that he gets let free.

Keeper: So, where will you be keeping him? 

Y/N: Might put his habitat in the basement of our mansion. It's illegal to own an otter, right? 

Keeper: Yeah... you can't have him in a domestic home. But he is neutered, so he's less likely to look at your firstborn like it's his next lunch. He's also taught to not embrace his territorial instinct. 

The keeper takes him out of his cage, picking him up and handing him to me. Rusty starts nuzzling my neck and wraps around my shoulder. 

Y/N: Hey bud... welcome back. 

Keeper: Sucks that the zoo is out of style now, but I hope you got an ACTUAL facility to take him home. 

Y/N: I don't, but I can pay you any price to keep your trap shut. Unless... 

I hold out Rusty towards him, and he starts growling. 

Keeper: You are a cop... or... were... a cop... you saved him from Graves' captivity, right? 

Y/N: And I got him back here as he just rode in the car seat. 

Keeper: He likes you... that's for sure. May he serve you well, I guess, let's go into my office. 

I pay for Rusty, and I let Rusty go to get his favorite blanket out of his cage. Once he has it, he climbs up my pant leg again and arrives at my shoulder. I wrap him up in the blanket and carry the otter to Ahri's SUV. 

Ahri: RUSTY!!! Hi baby! Remember me? Awwww...

Rusty: Eh... eck-eck... *grunting noises* 

He starts crawling up the back seat and onto the center console so Ahri can rub his head. Spoiler alert, Rusty loves all the girls, just like me. He treats you even better when you give him some fish. 

Ahri: So... Kai told me that you have... 

Y/N: Did she start telling you all I had a big wiener now? It's unusable... 

Ahri: How so? 

Y/N: She couldn't get her lips on it, now, stop getting so gross! We have a young one in the car. 

I pick Rusty up and hold him in Ahri's face like the Lion King.

Ahri: Right... how are we gonna take care of that thing? 

Y/N: The basement is finished, right? Wait... I got an idea! How about, every bathroom has a little pool in there for him, since he needs water to feel like he's home.

Ahri: Then he's going to be in every bathroom! 

Y/N: Then... put him in the guest room, with me! Where is the guest room? 

Ahri: The basement. 

Y/N: Perfect, we'll move some of the couches out of the way down there and put a pool there for him. I wonder how he'll do with Bao... the guy said he's trained to not be so territorial. 

Ahri: Hmmm... well, the original Bao we all knew and loved is gone. Sera got another white cat with the goofy blue eyes that look like hers. She got a new one, Bao the second, and he's another sweetheart, except... he isn't fat, and doesn't do the... the uhh...