a whole new problem

chat noir threw the earrings into the city below, his cat ears picking up the soft clink of the metal hitting the pavement somewhere off in the distance. he hadn't realized how heavy the earrings had been until he had thrown them away, realizing he'd been leaning to the right the jewelry weighing him down. 

for a moment he felt pure relief, unburdened by the mantel and free of cursing anyone else with it. a cool breeze swept across him and for the first time in weeks he felt like he was able to breath. he turned his back on the city, leaning against the balcony banister, looking back towards the house. It looked different this time than it had just a few moments ago, it felt more like Marinette. but not like she was towards the end... more like when he first met her. It felt lonelier but at least it was content loneliness. Like the house had never gained a beautiful company so it never felt like it had lost it either. there was a beauty in the unknown that the building seemed to remember in its forgetfulness, soft and romantic it was a quiet sad satisfaction that would only ever be ruined by gaining more than what it already had. 

for just a few moments chat noir... Adrian finally felt like he and Marinette were at peace...and that ladybug had finally gotten to retire, resting peacefully, never needing to sacrifice anything else for the sake of good. 

but just as smoothly did the calm wash over him did the panic try to drown him. 

he had just thrown one of the most powerful artifacts down into the streets for anyone to find! quickly chat turned, stepping up onto the balcony and leaping across the street to the rooftop opposite him. He leapt across three more before dropping down to a road where he figured it must have landed. there was an overwhelming ache the rippled threw him, twisting up his insides. scouring the ground the streetlights shimmered of every tiny fleck of broken glass, catching the cat's eyes with their glimmer of false hope. people on the street stopped and peered at the hero wondering what it might be the had him looking so frantically... none of them dared to speak to him... some quickly walked away others looked on the ground around them wondering if they might be able to spot what had chat noir's eyes red and welling. 

after searching the street and coming up with nothing chat noir climbed the side of a building and onto the next street panic ripping through him in every step he took. an overwhelming and brutal emotion....

                                                                                               ~   

the slow mechanical window creaked open, some of the joints becoming rusted, hawkmoth peaked out into the so-called city of love that ironically felt void of anything even close for months now. butterflies flew around the domed room, filling the air above him with white, celestial wings that fluttered sporadically like a million tiny drums. resting his hand on the window sill he starred at the street lights decorating the city. 

it felt weird being back here... it didn't think he would ever be there again... yet there he stood, dawned in his purple suit. back in his prime he'd realised he was insane... crazy? whatever you wanted to call it that what he was... every day he had tried to kill some stupid little teenagers in the name of his wife and he hadn't felt bad about it once... yet when he killed ladybug... well... when he helped Marinette kill ladybug... the person he hated more than anyone else in the world? he realized he wasn't crazy.... because... his heart dimmed, beating slower and sadder. but she... she was an idea more than anything else... behind her mask was nothing to hawkmoth.... but Marinette.... he'd known Marinette... he was fond of her and he saw the impact she had on the people around her... she was a person so beautifully alive that through her own morales had, in the ugliest way, died to rid herself of Gabriel's influence. 

after killing two people... no... after inadvertently killing to people, he tried to justify it to himself. he wanted nothing more to do with this silly little world of make believe heroes and villains. and for a while... he did. but tonight... he wasn't sure why but the brooch that sat pinned to his shirt collar, was burning, scorning him through his fabric like it itched to be used. he had ignored for several hours, even at once trying to take it off but as he fingers grazed the miraculous it scorched him, leaving his fingers red and raw. picking it up with a towel or tongs hadn't been an option either, the tools burning up immediately leaving them either charred or red hot. his entire shirt turned hot every time he tried to unbutton it and would cling to his skin like it was melted on.