43

"Your mother died, Markien."

When my father said that, I broke into tears. I visited her... Sobrang sakit para sa'kin na ngayon ko lang nalaman. I kept on apologising for not visiting her when she was alive. I cried so hard that day... She didn't even have the chance to take care of me... As her son.

"I promise... I promise to be good. I will promise that you won't regret your decision of leaving me to my father... I will make you proud... I will also love someone truly... I won't cheat, Ma."

Buong gabi akong umiyak pagkatapos ng nalaman ko pero alam kong pagkatapos ng gabi na 'yon, may araw ulit na masisilayan ko si Kenisha na maaaring magpagaan ng pakiramdam ko.

A year passed, we were waiting for Kenisha to pick Misha again. I'm already at 12th Grade. It has been a year since I avoided to talk to Misha's sister. I don't know how to talk to her. I am not even sure if she remembers me. Wala rin akong balak na magpakilala. Alangan naman sabihin kong hello, ako ang bata na nakausap mo dati?

Both of them ate the cupcakes that Manang baked. It was also supposed to be for her sister Kenisha, but Misha and Will already finished eating all of it.

"Ate!" She hugged her tightly. "I missed you!"

Basang-basa ang buhok ni Kenisha. Katulad din ng dati, kitang-kita muli ang pagmamadali sa mukha niya. Basa pa rin ang kanyang buhok at medyo magulo.

"I'm sorry, Misha! Na-late ng gising si Ate."

"It's okay, Ate! They stayed here with me!"

She pointed at us. My eyes widened. My heart almost skipped a beat when she turned her look at me. She bowed her head so I did the same a little. This is the first time she looked at me. Madalas ay si Will ang kanyang binabati.

"Thank you so much!"

I did my best to not stutter.

"It's okay. She's kind and cute," I said.

"I know. Sobrang cute ng kapatid ko."

After they left, I couldn't remove her voice inside my head. Nakuha na lang ni Will ang atensyon ko nang hilahin niya ang laylayan ng damit ko.

"Kuya, can we go to the mall? I want to eat!"

"Mall?"

He nodded. I agreed to bring him to the Mall. Will's favourite restaurant at his age is Pepper lunch. My sister used to bring her here if she's done working. Sa tingin ko nga rin, dito madalas kumain si Ate nung buntis siya kay Will, eh.

There was a group of friends who entered the pepper lunch while we were waiting for our order. My forehead creased because they were too loud. I know this is a mall, but their noise is not normal. Para silang mga nasa palengke at hindi nag karinigan kahit magkalapit lang.

"Pupunta ba pinsan mo?"

"I'm already texting her. Just wait."

They were backstabbing someone loudly. Sabay-sabay rin silang magsalita kaya hindi ko na maintindihan. Hindi rin nagtagal, dumating na ang order namin ni Will.

I can't enjoy eating. Those people are too loud. Inangat ko ang tingin ko at natigilan dahil nakita ko si Kenisha kasama ang kanyang kapatid na si Misha.

What is she doing here?

Tahimik lang ako nagpatuloy sa pagkain at nagkunwaring hindi ko siya nakilala. Napapakunot ako ng noo dahil pinipilit nila si Kenisha na bayaran ang order nila. Kenisha tried to refuse, but she still said yes. I watched her walk towards the counter with a furrowed brow. They forced her to pay. Why did she agree? Halata naman sa kanyang itsura na hindi niya gusto magbayad.