𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐★

𝐓𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟏𝐬𝐭, 𝟏𝟗𝟒𝟒 -  𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐫

It had been exactly twelve days since Orion and Walburga had spoken to each other.

New Year's Eve had never been a celebration to the pureblood families, but her father had invited his brother and family for a small dinner.

Reports of mass genocide among muggles were unsettling the delicate balance of the wizarding world. Grindelwald, in his ruthless pursuit of supremacy, had begun targeting his kind.

The news sent shivers through the hearts of the pureblood families, including the Blacks, who were intricately entwined in the web of dark magic and power struggles.

As soon as her aunt, uncle, and cousin arrived the feast began. It was silent for the most part. The clinking of silverware against plates seemed muted, and conversations, if any, were hushed and cautious.

The collective unease among the family members and their guests cast a somber pall over the dining hall, reflecting the uncertain times that had enveloped the wizarding world.

Her father broke the silence "Sources have begun to claim that more and more half-bloods are swearing their loyalty to the cause."

He continued, his gaze sweeping across the faces of his family, each one wearing an expression that mirrored a complex mix of allegiance. "Grindelwald is extending his reach, and it appears that the lines between purebloods, half-bloods, and even some muggle-borns are blurring in the face of his ideology."

Walburga exchanged a glance with Orion, the unspoken understanding between them palpable.

Her mother smiled at him, "Soon even the muggleborns as low as they are will come to see he is right."

The news of half-bloods aligning with Grindelwald's cause added another layer of complexity to their already intricate web of political maneuvering.

Her uncle soon added to the conversation "We must be vigilant, my family. The tides of power are unpredictable, and we must navigate them with wisdom and cunning. The House of Black has stood through centuries by adapting and aligning with the forces that ensure our supremacy."

The gravity of his words settled in the room, emphasizing the magnitude of the choices they faced.

The meal continued as if they hadn't just spoken of the possibility of bending the knee for survival.

As the dinner progressed, the conversation delved into the intricacies of their alliance with Grindelwald. The air was thick with tension, a silent acknowledgment of the sacrifices they were willing to make for the sake of their legacy.

☆ ★ ☆

Soon enough, the kids were dismissed from the dining room, leaving the adults to continue their discussions, enveloped in the haze of alcohol and the secrecy of their plotting.

Cygnus had been sent to bed. Alphard, showing signs of fatigue, began making his way up to his room, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to ward off the weariness that had settled in. 

He quietly spoke up to his sister and cousin "Goodnight then..." With that, he disappeared up the stairs, leaving Walburga and Orion alone in the dimly lit corridor.

The weight of unspoken concerns hung in the air and the distant murmur of adult voices carried from the dining room. They exchanged a glance, and without a word, she began to walk to her room knowing he was behind her.

The journey through the grand halls of the Black Manor felt like navigating a maze of shadows, the ancestral portraits of stern-faced ancestors seeming to observe their every move.