☆𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎𝟖☆

(𝟐 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫)

(𝟐 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫)

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟗 - 𝟏𝟐 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞.

"What are you writing?" she questioned Regulus as she leaned against his doorway.

Regulus quickly ripped the note and slipped it between the pages of a book before looking up at her, smiling innocently.

"Nothing important, Mother," he replied, trying to keep his tone light and casual.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she took slight offense but decided not to press him. She had all but screamed at him over the past two months since Mulciber's confession. Regulus remained resolute in his dedication to shutting her out, an odd shift given how close mother and son had once been.

She felt the growing distance, and it pained her to see the rift that had formed between them.

As she moved to place a hand on his shoulder, he stood up abruptly, cutting her off. "I will meet you for dinner," he said in a rushed tone. "Just you and me, no strays," he joked, offering her a wide, toothy smile.

Walburga paused, taken aback by the sudden shift in his demeanor.

She managed a small smile in return, though her concern remained. "Alright, dinner it is," she agreed softly, hoping that this small concession might be a step towards reconnecting with her son.

He nodded towards the door, a silent request for her to leave him alone. Though every instinct in her wanted to shake some sense into him, she reluctantly moved to exit the room.

She spent the rest of the day tending to the regular upkeep of the home. A part of her was filled with hope; she had wanted to tell Regulus about the decision she and Orion had made. Though Orion had told her to wait until it was all set.

They were going to leave it all behind. They were going to leave the war and move away.

Orion had been gone for most of the day, reassuring Walburga that he was working things out and that she had nothing to worry about. She smiled as she organized the books in the library, feeling a renewed sense of purpose.

She was ready to start over, to give her son a chance at a new life, free from the shadows that had haunted their family for so long.

☆ ★ ☆

(𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 - 𝟏 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐀𝐠𝐨) 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟗 - 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞.