𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓★

(𝐅𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤- 𝟒 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐠𝐨)

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏𝐬𝐭, 𝟏𝟗𝟒𝟏 - 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐫

"I will expect you in bed before we return." Irma as she knelt to caress Cygnus' cheeks before walking past Alphard and Walburga to the door.

Pollux, standing near the entrance, tapped his foot impatiently. "By all means, take your time seeing as we are late for the meeting."

Irma shot a cold glance at Alphard and Walburga.

"Act like responsible children for once." she sneered before heading out, leaving behind a room filled with a palpable sense of urgency and the lingering sting of her cutting words.

Amid the tense atmosphere, little Cygnus, having only been two, clung to Alphard's leg while Walburga carefully checked to make sure their parents had indeed left already.

Turning around, Walburga quickly picked up Cygnus and handed him to Alphard. "Come on then, they are finally gone." She led her brother to the attic of the manor.

As they ascended the stairs, Alphard began to struggle with the weight of his brother.

"What are you planning?" he asked curiosity and a touch of concern in his voice.

He watched as Walburga struggled with a makeshift step—a heavy drawer dragged beneath the opening.

Beads of sweat formed on her forehead as she stood, taking a moment to catch her breath. With determined effort, she attempted to open the door, its rusty hinges groaning in protest. The dim light highlighted the siblings' perseverance in seeking solace in the secluded attic.

Finally, as the dust began to fall on her head, she succeeded in opening the door.

Walburga turned to Alphard with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"A bit of exploring never killed anyone, brother," she declared, inviting him into the attic's mysterious realm.

Alphard, his initial concern giving way to a nervous edge, replied, "But what if we get in trouble, Walburga? What if mother finds out?"

As she made her way into the attic she looked back down "We won't and she won't, besides if she does it's not like she will harm you." Walburga reassured him.

Sighing the young boy hoisted his baby brother higher in his arms and began to enter the attic.

As they entered the attic, the air seemed to carry a different energy, a mixture of dust and secrets long forgotten. The dim light revealed old trunks, dusty furniture, and forgotten relics of the Black family's past.

Tattered curtains barely held on to the small attic windows, allowing thin streaks of muted light to filter through, illuminating the otherwise shadowed corners.

Alphard, glancing around nervously, whispered, "I can't believe we're doing this. What if there are ghosts up here?"

Cygnus began to sneeze.

Walburga's eyes gleamed as she grabbed the matches from her dress pocket, lighting all of the candles in the attic one by one.

"Let there be ghosts." she declared with a mischievous smile, casting playful shadows across the aged wall.

The warm glow of candlelight dispelled some of the eerie atmosphere, transforming the attic into a realm of discovery for the curious siblings.

The dark room lightened as all of the taper candle flames danced. It felt cozy.

As the candles illuminated the attic, Walburga turned to Alphard with a teasing grin. "See, no ghosts yet. Unless you count Cygnus's sneezes."

Alphard rolled his eyes, playing along. "Very funny, Walburga. You're the only ghost in this attic."

Caught in the banter, Cygnus giggled as he rubbed his nose. Alphard put him down on the wood floors.

Walburga laughed, the sound echoing through the space. "Alright, no ghosts, just the three of us on a grand adventure."

She grabbed intricately made tapestries from the corner of the room and placed them on the floor in the center of the attic.

Sitting down she beckoned for her brothers to join her "I declare this our safe place, away from mother and father."

Alphard, settling onto the tapestry, chuckled. "A safe place with dusty relics and old family secrets? How comforting."

Cygnus had laid down staring at the shadows of the flames on the walls.

Walburga hesitated for a moment before sharing her thoughts. "I yearn to escape this place, and since that may never be possible, I wish to carve out a sanctuary amid the chaos." She looked down at her brother feeling uncomfortable with how honest she was being.

Alphard, meeting her gaze, nodded in understanding. "A sanctuary it is, then."

Nodding, "So we may never feel alone," She reached into her pockets and took out small pieces of candy before handing some to Alphard and one to Cygnus who was beginning to fall asleep.

"I want us to be able to rely on one another, if we have no loyalty; we have nothing."

Alphard, taking the candy, smiled. "We have each other, I'd like to think that's enough." he looked into his sister's deep grey eyes. Before continuing "To our sanctuary, then. So we may never feel alone."

The flickering candlelight played on their faces as they sat together in the attic, creating a cocoon of warmth and camaraderie amid the chilly surroundings.

That night became the first of many, where the siblings would retreat to the attic and embrace the joy of being carefree children, if only for a while.

☆ ★ ☆

(A/N)

Walburga is 12, Alphard is 10 and Cygnus is 2 in this flashback.