★𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗𝟕★

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟒𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔 - 𝟏𝟐 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞.

The family opted out of attending the Christmas ball hosted by the Rosiers that year, choosing instead to remain cloistered at home in sad solitude. Regulus made valiant attempts to lift his mother's spirits, but despite his efforts, the heaviness of their circumstances persisted. As he departed for Hogwarts once more, he vowed to his mother that he would uphold the family's honor and dignity.

Orion had been more or less the same since Sirius had been disowned.

Despite her inner turmoil, Walburga made a concerted effort to regain her composure. On Christmas day, a letter arrived from Euphemia Potter, reassuring her that Sirius was safe and well in their care.

She didn't respond, feeling lost for words.

What could she possibly say to the woman who was now fulfilling the role of mother to her son?

With what remained of her energy, Walburga directed her attention to Regulus. She opened up to him, providing answers to the questions he had about their family's past, including the circumstances surrounding Alphard's death and her upbringing.

She even shared details about Eleanor Nott, their father's mistress, trusting Regulus to keep their secrets safe. Through their shared sleepless nights, they formed a bond stronger than any material, forged in honesty and mutual understanding.

The only thing Walburga kept hidden from Regulus was her connection to Abraxas Malfoy; she guarded that secret closely, even from her son.

Over the week since Sirius had left, Regulus seemed to age before her eyes. His gaze held the world's weight, reflecting a determination to step into adulthood. He had distanced himself from his father, finding solace in supporting his mother through her pain. Unintentionally, Walburga had inadvertently made Regulus her shield, and he embraced that role with unwavering loyalty.

Now that Regulus had returned to Hogwarts, Walburga found herself alone with Orion. Though she was accustomed to his silence, the emptiness of Grimmauld Place seemed to envelop her entirely.

With a heavy sigh, Walburga draped her deep green cloak over her shoulders. She made no effort to inform Orion of her departure; it seemed unlikely he would even notice her absence amidst the solemn quiet of Grimmauld Place.

☆ ★ ☆

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟒𝐭𝐡, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟔 - 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐫.

The ancestral home of the Black family stood before her, its imposing facade casting a shadow over the surrounding landscape. The grandeur of the architecture spoke of centuries of wealth and power, yet beneath its polished exterior lay secrets and sorrows that echoed through the halls.

Walburga stepped through the ornate doorway, her footsteps echoing against the marble floors as she ventured deeper into the manor. Portraits of long-dead ancestors lined the walls, their stern gazes following her every move.

She stared at the staircase, memories flooding back of the countless times she had ascended and descended its steps, each journey marked by the weight of her mother's punishments.

"Walburga?"