★𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗𝟓★

𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑𝐫𝐝, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟓 - 𝟏𝟐 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞.

The next day unfolded much like the ones before it. The atmosphere in the household was tense, with the family members barely acknowledging each other's presence. Sirius, usually a constant presence with his loud music, had fallen silent, adding to the heavy air of unease.

Walburga, unsure of what to do, carried on with her day, hoping to avoid arguments. But the suffocating silence became unbearable. As she wrapped her sons' gifts in the library, thoughts of Alphard crept into her mind.

Remembering him was a constant for her; grief clung to her like a heavy cloak.

As she carefully placed both gifts on her desk, she glanced at the clock. The sun had just dipped below the horizon, casting the room in a dusky twilight. Outside, the rain drummed against the windows, the sound growing stronger with each passing minute.

Leaning against her desk, her eyes drifted over the family tree tapestry, which clung to the ancient walls like a silent witness to the generations that had passed.

Biting her lip, she gathered her courage and left the room, her steps quick as she ascended to Sirius's room. Standing before his door, she could practically feel the waves of his hatred emanating from within.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath before raising her hand, hesitating just before she could knock.

She remained frozen in that position for longer than she intended, before shaking her head and slowly backing away from the door.

"I was wondering how long it would take you to do something," Sirius remarked from down the hall, his voice cutting through the silence.

Her eyes widened slightly before she furrowed her eyebrows at him. She observed as he walked down the hall, stopping just a few feet away from her.

"I thought you were in your room," she spoke, uncertain of what to say or how to approach the situation.

He seemed unimpressed, his tone edged with accusation. "If you thought that, then why didn't you knock?"

"I..." Truthfully, she didn't know what she wanted to say. "Where were you?" she asked, shifting the focus of the conversation.

"I was with Father," Sirius replied, a hint of bitterness in his tone. "Believe it or not, I happen to enjoy his company, and he enjoys mine."

Scoffing, she shook her head, knowing all too well what his father truly thought of him.

"Right, well..." Once again, she found herself at a loss for words, unsure of what to say to him. She was afraid of the damage she could inflict with her words, and even more afraid of what she might say if she let herself speak.

Sirius observed her for a moment, his expression unreadable. Then, without a word, he moved past her and opened the door to his room, disappearing inside. Just before closing the door, he cast a lingering glance her way, as if silently urging her to speak up.

Her voice was quiet, and she found herself saying the first thing that came out of her mouth. "I would enjoy your company too if you ever spent time with me."