Chapter 23: Red everywhere

Upon reaching her home Noah lifted her hand to open the door when she heard loud shattering of glass. Her heartbeat quickened worrying about her sister, she quickly pushed open the door and entered the house.

“Tell me, where is the money”

Her drunk father held a broken bottle in his hand and shouted at her little sister. Her young sister, Mia shrunken herself at the corner of the wall, covering her ears with her little hand, and closed her eyes tightly.

“Father! Stop” Noah shouted at the top of her lungs, rage filled her mind seeing her sister visibly shaking from fear.

“Oh! here you are, give the money”

He staggered towards her and snatched her bag before taking the money which she got from the whole day of hard work. It is obvious from the pungent smell of alcohol that her father was already drunk.

Noah didn't try to snatch the bag back as she knew it was only a futile attempt. It was nothing new, everytime she tried to get her money back from her father the situation would get worse and most of the time she would end up with bruises all over her body. Ignoring her father she ran towards her sister.

“Shh…Mia, its alright  I am here”

Hearing her sister’s voice Mia opened her eyes.

“Noah….” the tears that she didn't shed until now came out and she sobbed loudly hugging her sister.
Noah’s heart break hearing her sister’s wail. She hugged her tightly in her arms and patted her head gently.

“It's ok.. It's ok I am here. It will be alright” she didn't know whether she consoles her sister or herself, because she is aware that their life didn’t get better anytime soon.

She carried her sister to their bedroom and placed her in bed. She knelt down and wiped her tears, “Did.. did he beat you?”

Seeing her shake her head Noah took a deep breath which she didn't know she held it all the time.

“Promise me you will tell me if he ever touches you. Ok?”

Mia nodded her head in understanding, “Noah did you eat?”

Noah felt warmth spread inside her heart, the days' exhaustion suddenly disappeared. She smiled gently at her and pressed her stray hair gently.

“Hmm. Did you eat?, I put the dinner in fridge before I left”

Mia looked at her sister deeply, suddenly she jumped from the bed and ran towards her desk to take  the plate that contained half the portion of food that she saved for her sister.

She pushed the plate to her sister, “I know you still didn't eat, didn’t we promise to take care of each other. Eat now”

Tears flowed from Noah’s eyes as she kissed her sister’s cheek, they both hugged each other to find solace in each other's arms.

………………………………………………..

Siren, who has been busy throughout the week with Aiden and works at the mechanic shed, currently rested at her home. She calmly sipped her juice and stared blankly at the plants through the glass wall outside her house.

Her garden was filled with flowers of different colours ranging from pink to yellow which was planted by none other than Alex, saying that just like these colourful flowers her life will also be colourful.

She gets up from the sofa and walks towards the garden with the empty juice glass in her hand. She went to the corner of the garden where white daisies were planted in rows and decorated the pavement. She squatted near one of the smallest plants at the end.

She observed the intricate and delicate line on the petals. Everything about the flower was beautiful but it lacked onething, she thought in her mind.

She brought the empty glass above the flower and crushed it with her bare hands, blood started to drip from the cut and landed on the flower petals, painting them red.

Her lips quirked up ,“Beautiful”