Chapter 46: A Good diversion?

Of Course he knew that Douglas must play something dirty to win the case. The girl was an orphan so there would be no one who could take revenge on her behalf and the case was already closed. But what’s with that poker card?. 

He knew the uproar about the serial murder case which was a mystery for the past one month. Some people criticise the law and cops for their lack of potential to find the murder but there was another group where they treat the murderer as a hero as the person murdered by him or her are not some innocent souls but the one who did crimes and unforgivable acts.

Thinking about the two men who got murdered, he felt unsettled. For some reason he felt that spade was for him. He shivered remembering the sharp flash of light coming towards him like a ball of fire that wants to burn him to ashes.

He frowned as he took the mobile and called the number he didn’t use for a long time. 

Unknown to him a black figure watched him from the corner of the building, when he saw the terror in his eyes he smirked and left the place.

Daniel waited at the seat in front of the forensic department. He looked up when he heard the footsteps. His assistant Johnny rushed towards him with a folder in his hand. He had previously asked him to check the crafting of the card.

“Boss” he saluted and handed the file to his superior.

Daniel gets the file and goes through the details in it. His brows raised in surprise when he saw the report that the edges of the poker card was coated with the obsidian material. Of Course he had heard about it, the sharpest in the world, cuts even a bone but brittle. 

He closed the file and handed it over to his assistant. He frowned thinking about the footage he retrieved from the Hutson Law firm. When the team played the footage every detail was recorded but the footage got corrupted at the point when a figure was about to emerge from the elevator. The footage continued after the man Douglas fell dead on the floor and a man in a brown suit left the firm whose head was covered with the hat.

He checked other surveillance cameras installed in the first and other floors but the person was not in any footage and the videos were made like he was never set foot in the law firm except the one retrieved in the lobby.

As if he intentionally left that to taunt him. Daniel gritted his teeth and went inside the lab.

Axel was the senior in the forensic department. He had helped him to solve numerous cases in the past. When he went inside he greeted him and went to his cabin to discuss the case.

Axel took his seat and removed his glasses and placed them on the desk. He sighed heavily, 

“Just like you said there is a chance that this murder may not be committed by same person who killed the other two”

“How sure are you?” Daniel asked him.

“50 percent. I saw the report from Johnny, it's no doubt that the materials are the same but the depth of the cut is different. In the past the cut was clean directly aiming for the critical point in the neck but this time the point differs and the cut is too deep and almost near to the vital veins that makes the card stick to the man’s neck as…”

“As if he wants to make him feel the pain in every inch of his nerves before he dies” Daniel finished his line.

Axel was not surprised. He knew this man was very intelligent, that's why he liked to work with him, “Hmm. Exactly”

“You said 50 percent because you are not sure if it's a different person or a deliberate act from the same murderer. Am I right?” 

Axel’s eyes shine with admiration. No wonder the chief tolerated this man even though he ran amok often.

After getting the reports he went to his cabin accompanied by his assistant Johnny. 

Murder in broad daylight, tampering with the footage, and a clean weapon without evidence. He is not easy to deal with.

“Johnny didn’t you say that Douglas won the case recently. Tell me about it” Daniel took his seat and bobbed his head at him.

“Boss, He fights for the social activist Gaston Regis. He built many orphanages and provided food and shelter for homeless children. But a man who worked as a caretaker there suddenly filed a complaint against him saying that he assaulted a twelve year old girl in that orphanage. But upon investigation it is found that the caretaker was the one who assaulted her and blackmailed her to say it was Mr. Regis”

“When the cops arrested him and investigated he confessed his crime and he also accepted that he  blackmailed Regis hoping to get money from him” He further briefed about Gaston Regis’s background and the orphanages he owned.

“Tell me Johnny, a man with such a kind heart but building orphanages only for children and especially with a high rate of girl children”

Johnny blinked his eyes, “Boss, are you doubting Gaston Regis?, but he looks like a good man?”

“Every man is innocent until proven guilty. Let’s go and visit the one in prison”