33

They were too late

They were too late. Eli knew the full moon can be at its peak for only a few minutes. Which means, he has no choice but to stop and watch over Rafael to make sure he doesn't kill anyone.

Landon finished wrapping chains around the tree. They weren't going to make it back to the Salvatore School before the moon rose, and despite Raf's protests, Eli had said that he would stay with him throughout the night.

Landon was supposed to go back with MG when the time came, but Eli was doubtful about that. Not only was MG nowhere to be seen but he also knew that Landon had no ability in his body to leave Raf behind, ever. And after what happened at that church, as much as Eli wanted to comfort MG, he needs to watch Rafael, as he doubts those chains are strong enough to hold him and Eli is stronger then him. Enough to keep him at bay.

"You sure this is gonna work?" Rafael asked as Landon stepped back to look at his handiwork, nodding a little as he looked at the chains wrapped around his werewolf brother.

"Oh, to be honest, bro, this is actually a first for me," Landon replied, the sarcasm seeping through his tone as he looked back at Raf. "But if you have a better idea, I'm all ears. Eli, any thoughts?"

Eli shook his head, not wanting to get involved in whatever small argument that he could sense was brewing between the boys. Even though he wasn't entirely bound to the moon cycle in the same way that Rafael was, it still put him on edge. Knowing full well of the likelihood of Rafael getting out are high. But speaking of senses, he can tell they weren't alone. It's not a vampire he's smelling. Yet whatever is out there, to Eli, it smells familiar somehow.

"A better plan would've been not leaving the school at all," Raf complained, tugging at the chains to make sure that they would be able to hold him. He shared a look with Eli, who looked back and agreed with Raf's statement too, wondering why they'd even gone along with Landon's stupid plan anyway. But his attention was inward again.

"Well, excuse me for wanting to help MG!" Landon exclaimed as he looked between Eli and Raf, noticing how they were avoiding his gaze, with Lockwood looking distracted . "You see something, Eli?"

"More like I smell something. I'm gonna take a look. I'll be right back." Eli takes off to where the smell is coming from. Something about the sent is intriguing yet it's also rubbing him wrong.

He keeps walking and the smell is getting very stronger. More stronger and he feels dread. Then he hears a twig snap.

Eli turns to see where it was coming from and to his horror, a monster appears. And... not one he's familiar with.