8. I Hope He's Alright...

Onika's P.O.V.

I have no idea why I had agreed to watch Marshall's daughter for him

I mean, this white boy's been nothing but mean and downright horrible to me ever since I've met him. And that last time we spoke, you know, back when I had actually tried to help him and save his ass from those dudes that was jumping him and he had the nerve to flip out on me for that?! Yep, that was the last straw for me.

And a girl can only take so much, even if she does have a stupid crazy crush on the boy.

Yes, y'all, I was so done with Marshall after that day, like for real this time.

But...

When he showed up at my door step with that cute little girl in his arms, I don't know, I just couldn't say no to him, and it wasn't even about him this time.

It was all about his daughter.

She had looked so cute, so innocent and sweet, and I had felt like I simply couldn't let her down. It isn't her fault after all that her daddy is such a huge asshole and an ain't shit nigga.

Oh, and it was also something about the way Marshall was being with her. As he held that small child in his arms so gently, and the way he ever so fondly gazed at her, his love for her was so obvious. I mean, she clearly was his whole world, and it showed me like this whole different side to him.

Sure, a stupid part of me would forever be drawn to the bad boy in him, because I apparently am that dumb.

But now I also saw like this caring side to him, and I honestly didn't even think the asshole was capable of any emotion whatsoever other than anger and contempt, but obviously I was wrong...

And now, I was supposed to watch Hailie for a couple of hours for him.

While Marshall was out there doing... whatever it is he needed to do.

I mean, he never did tell me exactly what it was. The only thing he said was that it had to do with this new job he just got hired at and that he had to work night shifts.

Marshall then asked me if I needed him to show me how to change Hailie's diapers, just in case if I ever had to do that, but I told him, I already knew all about that. I mean, I don't have any kids of my own (Thank God!!) but I did change plenty of diapers in my lifetime. Having had to take care of my aunt in her last days on this Earth, back when she was so sick she could no longer do it herself. One of the sad parts of that being that Clove had completely lost control of her own body in those past few days.

Not something I want to think about now, as I don't want to remember Auntie Clove in this light, but yes, I do have an experience with changing diapers, and my guess was that changing a baby's diaper couldn't possibly be too different from changing an adult diaper.

Marshall then proceeded to show me how to mix his daughter's baby formula and how to feed it to her, then he gave me a few more pointers on how to care for his kid, and then he was gone.