32. Mr. Nice Guy

Onika's P.O.V.

Walking through the studio doors, I'm here to support my man

Even if things... have been somewhat tense between Marshall and I lately, as in, he always acts as though he's scared to so much as breathe in my direction all of a sudden, let alone touch me.

Which is honestly making me frustrated as hell, because I swear, I never told this white boy that he couldn't touch me at all, just that... he needed to be more aware of what consent is. But apparently, that's went in one ear and exited out of the other.

Now, we are distant with each other, we've been like this for a few days now, and I honestly don't know what to do. I just wish Marshall would understand where I'm coming from, but apparently, he doesn't.

This boy seriously believes that staying away from me altogether is what I've wanted.

So, even though we still sleep in the same bed, he won't so much as go near me. He always acts like he's afraid any small action of his would break me, and I'm stuck.

Like... I truly don't know how to communicate how I really feel to him anymore, and it's so frustrating!! Just like my man, I'm really bad with words, and it's like driving me crazy.

Especially considering the fact that other than the lack of intimacy between us, Marshall is still otherwise the same with me.

He's attentive, extremely possessive of me, like, God forbid some other dude so much as glances in my direction, they would end up dead, or at the very least, have the crap beaten out of them.

And maybe I'm just trippin, imagining all this like, distance between us. Maybe it's not even there at all.

We still have our long talks every night, right before going to bed. He still confides in me. Talking out his frustrations of not being able to see his daughter, and honestly? I miss Hailie a lot too. I mean, she's not my kid, but like... that one time Marshall had left her with me to take care of her, I feel like I had rely bonded with that little girl. And I do miss her too at times, even though she's not mines, but like... I did enjoy taking care of her.

But obviously that can't even compare to how much Marshall is missing her.

He's confided in me a lot about that, and he even let me hear the rough draft of this song he's written about how he's hypothetically planning to get his baby's mother out of the picture. And it was absolutely crazy but like, darkly hilarious at the same time.

Marshall had said that he won't actually record that track though. Not until he somehow finds a way to put Hailie herself on it and sample her voice.

Which is probably not the best idea. But the white boy is settled on it, soooooo....

Anyways.

"So, what's exactly went down with you two that you are now, like you said, not exactly like how the two of you uses ti be with each other before?" Sharonda now asks me as we are shopping together at this bargain goods store.