15. Beat The Shit Out Of You

Onika's P.O.V.

I don't even know how many days it's been, y'all

Because my uncle keeps all of the windows in my room shut and the blinds pulled down, making it to appear completely dark in the room the whole time, it's hard for me to track the passage of time.

Feeling weak because he's been starving me and beating me every chance he's got, wasn't helping the issue neither.

My uncle is very determined at, as he calls it, "getting the devil out of me that's gotten into me lately", and turning me back into a "nice obedient gal" I once was.

My muscles ache from constantly laying on my side and being tied up at almost all times.

I mean, he did losen my binds an exact amount of three times to allow me to go to the bathroom so far.

As per his own words, he didn't feel like dealing with the stench that would come with me making it on myself, so I was very sternly advised to hold it whenever I had to go and wait for the times he would allow me to use the bathroom, and to not try anything funny while I was at it neither.

But the last time uncle untied me, I did try to run away though.

Simply because at this point, it's become very clear to me that if I didn't try to get away from him, then I would eventually end up wasting away and dying from all the abuse, because like... something clearly isn't right with Uncle Rashaad.

Sometimes when he beats me, he would mumble drunkenly under his breath. I've been able to gather so far from his ramblings, that he's actually recently lost his job cause he kept on showing up there drunk and almost had a terrible accident while on one of his runs. He also told me that apparently we've been getting eviction notices for our house that he's been hiding from me, but now that he's lost his job, we are about to lose our place for real, the same house he's owned ever since coming here to the States with my aunt from Trinidad years ago, and how this home holds so many memories for him. And once he loses it, he won't even have nothing to live for anymore. Or anything to lose.

Which is why "straightening" me out has somehow become his only mission in life.

And I just knew somehow that if I wasn't able to get away from him, then the abuse would just continue and eventually I would die.

So, I did try.

I had attempted to climb out of the bathroom window, but uncle ended-up catching me, and he had beat me even worse than before after that, and I ended-up passing out for a while.

Now, I wake up in complete darkness as usual, with my head pounding like crazy, and the familiar dull ache in my empty stomach and the usual overall weakness setting in.

I'm apparently laying on my bed right now, on top of the covers, instead of on the floor, uncle does like to change it up sometimes.

But that's not what woke me up.