33. The Simple Things

Marshall's P.O.V.

"Aight, dawg, so this is gonna have to be the last time for sure," I tell Dre with a heavy sigh, taking a few small baggies filled with dope out of his hand and quickly pocketing them

"Oh, for sure, my nigga. I keep telling you, Slim, I've got connections, and I would eventually help you make it in thay rap shit. My dawg, Jimmy Iovine, that's in LA, I've already been told him about you, and he can't wait to hear your demo once you had finished working on it. He even listened to that Infinite shit and really fucked with it too. So once you get done with this other joint, you will blow up for sure, that I can guarantee you, dawg, you know what I mean. In the meantime though," Dre shrugs.

The dope bags weighting heavy as fuck in the pockets of my pants.

I don't wanna do this no more, and I had promised Nicki that I won't neither, but I guess I had lied to her about that, yo.

Cause I'm still pushing dope for Dre from time to time.

Especially after  I done got fired from yet another goddamn 9 to 5 job, something I ain't even tell my girl about yet. Feeling to tense about it, thinking she would judge me and call me a loser just like Kim used to. The thought of it alone straight up destroying me, cause Onika is always so damn supportive of me.

This girl truly does believe in me, dawg, and I ain't want her to wake up and realize one day that I'm not shit after all, not even able to so much as keep a lame ass minimum wage job.

Thing is, no matter how hard I try at those, I always fail, dawg. Like this last one, the boss kept catching me slacking off, constantly day dreaming and working on my rhymes and shit, instead of actually getting anything done.

And now I'm fucked all over again.

I swear to fuck, yo, of this rap shit is gonna ever happen for me, man, then it's better happen right now.

Legit right in this very moment, cause I ain't got time to play around no more.

Gotta provide for my girl and my daughter, even if I haven't actually laid eyes on Hai again in months, Kim being fully back on her vindictive bullshit and all.

I've been considering just taking that evil ass slut to court though, just like Onika told me before I should.

But once again, imma need money for that.

So, I've been running the streets again, selling Dre's product.

While still trying and working on completing my EP at the studio at the same time, always stressed as fuck. Which had only fueled my passion for my raps, to be honest. My rhymes vetting more insane, my hunger for success growing with each song recorded.

My boys DeShaun and Porter both helping me out a lot, Denaun helping me produce some of my shit. I ain't even know he had a talent for that, to be honest, but he do.

But today I spend distributing the drugs on the corner, though.

And once I'm done with that shit, I drive over to Nicki's job, picking her up.

Her being quiet as hell most of the ride home.

Which I know exactly what it's about, cause she's BEEN like this lately.

The fucking day of the trial for her piece of shit uncle approaching at a rapid pace, getting closer to it sooner and sooner each day.

I know that she's nervous about the whole thing, and I been trying to do my best to comfort her.

Let her know that I'm here for her, and that no matter what happens, what the outcome of it would be, that cocksucker would never touch her again, and I can promise her as much.

I'd kill him before I let that happen.

I mean, I ain't never actually killed anybody before.

But for that piece of human waste of a man, I swear I would make an exception, and it won't even be difficult for me to do, and I tell Onika as much.

"I know, you would, Marshall," she replies as I squeeze my hand with my free hand, my left hand placed security on the wheel of the car as I continue to drive us home. "But please don't talk like that, you know that it scares me a little bit."

Her slender fingers softly squeezing mine back, I lean over and kiss the top of her head, keeping my eyes on the road.

"I just wish justice would be served, you know," Onika says softly.

"And it will be, baby. I ain't see why not," I shrug.

Knowing goddamn well that in this world, life ain't never fair.

"Um... anyways, how's your day went?" My girl now asks me, and I shrug.

I hate lying to her, but I have to.

"Was all good. My manager at work getting on my last goddamn nerve," I tell her.

Hearing her quietly giggle.

"You'll be okay, Marshall. You just need to learn how to get along with people better, you know," she says.

"Yeah, yeah," I smirk.

Thinking to myself how all I want on this life is just simple things.

My daughter back in my life.

My girl by my side.

My slut of a baby mother out of the picture for good.

And for my rap career to finally take off.

It ain't much to ask for, is it?