chapter 47

"Do you have any say in this , minister Bai ?" Empress dowager asks furiously.

Minister Bai maintains the eye-contact firmly "I have nothing to say empress dowager. I said what I said. You gave me an offer , I passed that offer to my daughter, my daughter rejected that offer, my son wanted to accept your offer instead and that's what I told you."

"But you never told me that your daughter wanted to marry my son as an empress."

"You offered the position of consort , Empress dowager. I don't have the impartinence to double cross royalty." Minister Bai retorts.

"But double-crossed royalty by proposing your son !" Empress dowager fumes.

Afreen smirks. She guessed that minister Bai wanted to hide something from empress dowager but this. She clears her throat and pats the back of the upset girl "Minister Bai , I am just a consort. So forgive me if I am wrong but I feel like,  there is a favouritism in your actions."

Minister Bai raises his one eyebrow "how is it ?"

"You proposed your son's wish to Empress dowager but you even didn't mention your daughter's wish ? When the actual offer was for your daughter." Afreen points out.

"I was afraid to be a consort. I was not raised in a royal families like consort Afreen or empress dowager. I am no where close to them in beauty or intelligence , that's why I thought if I be the empress .. no one will look down on me." Yimli says casually with a sour face. "but then, I heard father replaced me with Yuzu. I am happy for my brother though."

"How can you be happy when your own brother cheated on you !" Empress dowager huffs "minister Bai, why did you do this ?"

"Because my daughter never showed any interest in being his highness's partner until her brother became the noble consort." Minister Bai states looking at Yimli with a glare.

"Are you saying she lied about asking for the empress position?" Afreen asks with a mocking tone.

"She didn't but consort Afreen should know that no one can be married as an empress to his highness. They need to be promoted gradually from consort position. Her asking empress position was like a monkey asking to eat a tiger."

Yimli's face turns red. She hears a snicker from her behind. She is damn sure it's Yuzu's useless maid. She will take care of her later but now she has bigger fish to fry.

Empress dowager looks at Afreen. Afreen does the same. It'srare that both of them are at a loss of word.

"Don't argue because of me. It's just empress dowager asked me why I rejected his highness. That's why I said I never rejected him." Yimli tries to break the awkward silence. "I didn't know about the rules to be an empress though."

"That's simply means you were tricked by your brother. He very well knew about the steps but didn't tell you instead he snatched your offer." Empress dowager snapps again.

"My son loves his highness. I am sure for my son it was never a matter of position. He would be happy to be his highness's concubine too." Minister Bai scoffs with a smile.

"Yet, he is now the noble consort of Zixaun." Empress dowager shakes her head "whatever, this is purely insult of my proposal. I need to fix it."

"Exactly how you want to fix it ?" Minister Bai asks with suspicion.

"I would make Yimli Zixuan's consort. I am giving my offer again."

"Her sibling is already his highness's consort. You want to use my daughter to break my son's marriage?" Minister Bai snaps.