1. Enter, Goldfish L. Rater!

NOW BEGINS VOLUME ONE OF
THE SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD.

In a village surrounded by mountains and all sorts of other pillars, there lies a young man of a good stature and a remarkable attitude.
His name is Goldfish L. Rater, and he has a younger sister called Goldfish L. Sela, who is two years younger.
They are both active members of the Goldfish household, which is said to be descended from hundreds and hundreds years ago.
It was always traditional for families in their region and maybe other places to have their surnames before their first names, unlike the standard version.
Both Rater and Sela lived relatively normal lives, like the rest in their village. They usually did chores set by their parents and after they were done they would watch television and then take a kip for the night.
They were stuck at home all the time due to the parents being out and going down the local tavern all the time, sharing fun stories and drinking and singing and reminiscing about old times.
It was a common law in the village to forbid younger ones from entering taverns without a guardian present, it was deemed as "Reckless".
But Rater didn't have to worry about being a burden to anybody, for he had the supervision by his good friend to come and go whenever he wanted to.

Rater, a twelve-year-old, would be at the local tavern in the early morning, having his breakfast as he would be sitting with THE Ranger himself, Josiah the Second.
Josiah was kind of an legend in the village, he had his own squad of Rangers like him who would venture out into the wilds where they would come back with food and other resources.
Josiah was good friends with Rater's parents, and as a result, he had to mentor Rater in his own little way.
Rater took good word to Josiah's lessons, and used them for his own passion and what he wanted. It is safe to say it worked out well for him.
Rumors were spreading around that this was their final year in the village, and Josiah and his men were longing to say goodbye. This sparked dissapointment in the villagers as they were really keen on seeing the Rangers more.
But this was not the case.

"You're really leaving this village for good?" said Rater.
"I kind of have to," said Josiah. "Me and my guys have been staying around here for too long, we kind of attracted some attention from Outsiders."
"Outsiders?" asked Rater.
Josiah nodded. "Bigger and badder than what you lot are, that's for sure. These guys don't mess around -- I don't think they are from another village around here."
"You mean.. they are from-?"
"The wild. The outside world. The battlefield. The place where if you make one wrong step you could find yourself enslaved, eaten, or worse; killed."
"I understand. But isn't going out there gonna be worse than hiding in here? I mean, those mountains are huge! It's great cover! Keeps the evil away from this village atleast."
"It does," said Josiah, "but up there, they have the high ground. They could strike us with their bows any moment we walk out that door. It isn't a game you play recklessly, Rater."
Rater nodded. "I suppose it's a shame. You guys were so awesome."

Josiah chuckled. As Josiah was observing the tavern, he noticed a mirror standing on the bar. He could see his reflection. And in the reflection he could see something outside aiming a bow at him.
"GET DOWN!" Josiah tackled Rater down, as the arrow was shot and pierced the wooden wall.
The doors swung open, as a gang of men walked in, their gold chains clanging against one another as they walked. It seemed they were ready for buisness.
"Ah, just what i needed," said Josiah.
"Who are they?!" said Rater.
"Told you, Outsiders."
The Man grabbed Josiah by the collar. "Where are my Rupees, pipsqueak!"
Josiah chuckled. "I'm sure we can work this out in a polite manner."
"WHERE IS IT!"
"I don't have it!" said Josiah. "Atleast, not now. But i'll get it soon."
The Man headbutted Josiah, much to everyones surprise, as Josiah was on the floor, holding his head.
"I HOPE YOU KNOW, CAPTAIN! THAT IF YOU STAY IN THIS LITTLE PLACE YOU CALL 'HOME', WE ARE GONNA TERRORIZE YOU DAY IN, DAY OUT! GOT THAT?!"
Silence erupted the room, as the Gang waited a few moments of response before leaving the Tavern.

Josiah got up, wiping the red mark on his head. "Who wants a toast?"
Suddenly, the Tavern erupted in happiness and laughter. As songs were sang, people were drinking like normal.
Josiah turned to Rater and patted his back, before sitting down and drinking his beer.
Rater went to drink his juice when he realized it was empty and saw another bottle on the table.
This bottle hadn't been there before, as Rater's eyes were fixed upon it, he walked over to it and slowly sipped it, before his eyes widening.
"NO!" Josiah got up and grabbed Rater, who had started to feel uneasy. "SPIT IT OUT! SPIT EVERY OUNCE OF IT OUT!"
"It tastes like Bleach!" said Rater.
The whole Tavern was silent once more, as Josiah grabbed two beer bottles and smashed it against Rater's faces.
"Did you feel anything?" asked Josiah.
Glass shards fell to the floor as Rater seemed to be completely unscathed, before shaking his head.
"It is hopeless," said Josiah. "Rater, you drank a liquid that was sacred and only found in one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Now, i don't know who was stupid enough to let it be lying around, but it has ruined you, Rater. You can't be normal like everybody else. You are something different."
"What am I?" asked Rater.
Josiah grabbed a nearby rock as he threw it at Rater, this struck Rater but as a result it would start to turn his skin into stone.
"You can absorb matter," said Josiah. "Meaning your skin can turn into whatever energy it absorbs. Like that Rock."
The tavern was dead silent now, as Rater broke out into a scream.
"AAAHHHH!!!" screamed Rater. "I'M STONE! I'M LITERALLY A STONE! WHAT IS THIS?!"
"YOU JACKASS!" said Josiah. "NOW YOU NOTICE? GOOD GRIEF."

Two is soon!