27. The Phantom vs. The Snake

Kaio's words seemed to anger Rater, as if it gave him an extra surge of willpower to continue the fight.
Kaio would charge towards Rater for one last chance to hit Rater in the neck, only for Rater to quickly recover by spinning his staff in his hand and using the curved side to block the attack.
Rater would then use the momentum from his block to turn his staff again, now slamming the flat part of his staff into Kaio's face.
Kaio would fall back as he looked at the small wound on his face.
Rater would keep up his assault as he would sweep low with his staff, only for Kaio to jump up over the staff.
Rater would be expecting it though, as he would then bring his staff up quickly, hitting Kaio square in the groin.
The staff would strike right on Kaio's jewels, causing him to fall down from the blow.
It wouldn't be long though until Rater would follow up on his attack by quickly swinging his staff towards Kaio's face.
Kaio would fall back, yet manage to keep to his feet.
He would then raise his hands up, calling for Rater to come towards him.
Rater, not wanting to give up the initiative, would run towards Kaio, only to be greeted with a knee to the ribs as Kaio would try to keep Rater at bay.
“Dumbass!” said Kaio, as he would not let this opportunity waste as he hook-kicked Rater's face, sending him into one of the houses as the wall collapsed.
Before Rater could recover, Kaio would quickly follow up on the hook kick, striking Rater right in the chest with an upward kick, sending him further back.
However, Rater would quickly grab a large piece of the broken wall and throw it at Kaio.

Kaio slashed it into two pieces with his sword, as the snakes slithered all around it, Rater was on his knee as he looked up at Kaio.
“You.. you're stronger than I thought,” said Rater, coughing.
Kaio chuckled. “Of course! I am the Great Kaio -- right hand man of Captain Labath of the Black Dragon Rangers, we are a dominant force in the South Blue! Taking me lightly is asking for death!”
Rater chuckled, as he slowly got up, using his staff. “Well,” said Rater, “if that's the case, then I suppose it is a no-brainer. Kill me! Or you're weak like the rest I have fought!”
Rater put his hand on the wall, as his body turned into stone, he smiled at Kaio, acting like it didn't phase him at all.
Kaio's heart skipped a beat as Rater seemed to harden himself like he was made of stone.
Rater was tough, but now he almost seemed invincible!
This would not stop Kaio though, in the very blink of an eye, he would move with unmatched speed and slash his sword directly to Rater's face.
While the sword of Kaio did manage to scratch Rater's face, it was of no use as the sword bounced off of his hardened skin.
Kaio's eyes widen as he realizes just how durable Rater had become.
Rater would look back at Kaio and then laugh it off as if it was nothing.
Rater wouldn't wait any longer!
He would jump up and kick off one of the nearby broken walls to deliver a powerful jump kick straight to Kaio's face.
As Rater landed back down, his legs buckled slightly from the landing.
That was all the opening Kaio needed as he moved forward with blinding speed once again, but instead of just slashing the face, he would use the edge of his blade to slash a small crack into Rater's face.

Rater's eyes widened, as he jumped back, he was in complete shock as he saw a dent in his face, like literally, a dent in his face. He was at a loss of words.
“My.. my face..” thought Rater, “a part of my face.. is gone?!”
Rater shook his head, as he yelled, “TRYING TO TAKE MY FACE OFF? YOU BASTARD, YOU'LL PAY!”
Kaio would be filled with a new found determination as he witnessed the fear in Rater's eyes.
He would then move forward once again to attack, this time aiming for something more vital than just the face.
Rater would be ready, as Kaio's attempted kick would be blocked by Rater's staff, as his staff had enough strength and pressure to put Kaio off balance, which forced Kaio to jump back.
But as Kaio landed, he dashed straight at Rater, punching him in the face, before following it up with a slash, Rater was nothing but lucky as he blocked it in time, before stamping the staff down into the ground as he swung on it and kicked Kaio away.
“Gagh!” said Kaio, maintaining his balance, but before he could look, Rater whacked him slap-bang in the face.
Kaio would be left reeling from the attack as he looked back at Rater, his face slowly turning as red as the blood seeping out of his nose.
It was clear that the fight had taken a turn for the worst, yet Kaio still had the determination to not give up.
He would then raise his sword with all his might and dash forward, aiming for another strike to Rater's face.