Chapter 114: Threatened

Remus was growing more isolated as the weeks went by. Exams were looming and he was the only one in his year who didn't care. Everyone else was busy studying, hiding themselves away in the library for hours on end while Remus roamed the halls. He missed having his friends around, but he supposed it was nice to explore the castle uninterrupted, without needing to talk to somebody else. Regulus had the right idea, spending his days in the greenhouses as silently as a mouse, pruning flowers as if he had nothing else in the world to worry about.

It took longer than Remus was willing to admit to remember that Regulus was a year younger than him, which meant he wasn't busy studying for exams like everyone else. It wasn't that Remus had any interest in hanging out with him, but... he was getting a little lonely. He hung around the greenhouses more than he usually did, although he tried to pretend otherwise. Whenever Regulus gave him a weird look after seeing him in there three days in a row, Remus wouldn't even make eye contact with him. He acted as if he were supposed to be there, and eventually Regulus seemed to just accept this. He didn't say anything, at least. Then again, Regulus never did say anything anyway.

Remus found that he actually got pretty involved with gardening, without even intending to. He had never been that big on it, although he did enjoy taking care of small plants, and it had been a bonding activity between him and his mum when Remus was a child, so it was therapeutic in a way. It was an opportunity to think about his mum in a more positive light, without wanting to cry, so visiting the greenhouses really did become more about himself than about Regulus. Besides, he was quite good at gardening; he had always believed that plants were sentient, so he enjoyed treating them as such. It was satisfying watching the things that he took care of actually flourish and grow, and he could see why Regulus was so into it. It ended up being quite an addictive hobby. Not only that, but the greenhouses themselves were so peaceful. Sometimes birds hung around inside, and the silence would be interrupted by gentle birdsong. Rays of sunlight would filter through the glass, giving the whole room a hazy, dream-like feel to it, and Remus easily found himself lost in time as the hours slipped by like seconds.

Sometimes he brought his accordion, but only when Regulus wasn't there. He didn't want to disturb Regulus, but it was a nice place to practice where no one could hear him mess up the tunes he was learning. He was improving by the day, and he was able to play more complicated songs, as well as a few songs by ear as long as he put in the effort. He liked to switch his radio on and attempt to play along with whatever song was playing at the time. It was near the end of April, when his friends were cramming as much as possible for the start of exams the following month and Remus was in the greenhouses trying to play along to Scarborough Fair. He didn't notice Regulus entering until the song had finished, and he looked up to see the boy standing just away from him, watching. Remus switched the radio off and stood up.

"Hi," he greeted. "Sorry, I didn't know you were here." Regulus said nothing as usual, his expression remaining as neutral as ever, before he took up his usual spot at one of the wooden tables. Remus coughed awkwardly and locked up his accordion, fastening it behind his back. He decided not to bother Regulus further, especially since he was gaining the impression that Regulus didn't want him there in the first place, and quickly went to leave.

"Are you trying to be friends with me?" Remus turned around and stood there silently in case he'd misheard. Regulus was still looking down at one of his plants, snipping the leaves intently and appeared not to have said anything. "Well?"

"U-um... no?"

"You don't sound so sure." He finally raised his head and met Remus's gaze.

"I'm not trying to be your friend," replied Remus, with more certainty in his voice. He held his head up defiantly, deciding that he didn't need to explain himself, especially to someone so infuriating as Regulus was. Remus understood people who were quiet; hell, he was pretty quiet himself when he wanted to be. Regulus, on the other hand, was unnervingly quiet, as if he were constantly watching and planning. He looked enough like Sirius to give Remus the shivers, considering the two were stark contrasts to each other when it came to personality. Remus tried to leave again.