Chapter 132: Showtime

24th of July, 1977. The day that an entire class of seventh year Gryffindors burst into the Great Hall after dinner had ended and made every single candle in the room and star on the ceiling blow out in an instant until the entire place was shrouded in darkness. The room filled with confused and indignant voices, the teachers unable to do anything because a charm had been placed onto their table to stop them from moving forward. Nothing happened for a whole minute, a whole minute of bewildered scuffling in the darkness until a single spotlight shone onto the stage where the teachers' table sat.

Myfanwy was standing there, microphone in hand, dressed all in black except for her bright red lipstick that stood out against the background. The crowd had gone silent as they waited for something to happen, something that would explain the dramatic interruption of the evening. Myfanwy took a noticeable deep breath, and began to sing the opening words of "Science Fiction/Double Feature".

Remus watched from the other side of the room, hidden amongst the shadows. She was beautiful, her voice echoing around the room and transfixing the students who watched. They had all been worried about heckling, or jeering, but the room was silent save for Myfanwy's hauntingly beautiful voice. Remus couldn't help but briefly wonder if she would continue pursuing music after this, or if the War would snatch the opportunity away from her before she could even attempt to. Would she even be involved in the War? She had quietly rambled about moving down to the country with Jethro, late at night sometimes when everyone else was asleep. Remus had heard all about their plans to live in a sweet cottage together, a sickeningly romantic dream, but Remus didn't feel an ounce of cynicism towards them. He hoped they'd be able to get out of here, and he'd never blame them for skipping the War and starting their own, hidden lives away from the death and destruction of the cities.

The song ended, the students applauded, and most likely they assumed that the show was over. Except for a few of the muggleborns... they knew what was about to happen, and a few cheers rippled through the room as Peter stepped up to the podium. There had been a lot of casting changes since rehearsals. Peter had quickly realised his stage fright was far too great to play Rocky, especially considering Rocky spent most of the show in nothing but golden underwear, so Peter had swapped his role with James, who was more than happy to take it from him.

Peter stumbled slightly over his opening words, terrified as he was of all the watching eyes, but he pushed through until his voice eventually boomed across the room, introducing the characters of Brad and Janet and adding at the very end: "This is PG-13, so anyone under third year can piss off." A chorus of groans ran through the room, but Peter looked at them sternly.

"I mean it," he said. "Get out." The show paused only briefly to allow an irritated trail of first and second years to trudge out the double doors. As soon as they had left, the show resumed again, with the lights returning to the Hall to highlight the new scene. It was Remus's turn to make an appearance, with Lily at his side.

Another casting change had been Lily deciding to play Janet after all, as long as they cut out the song she had to sing with Rocky. She had sung it in rehearsals, having fun with James as they acted out the scene from the film. They didn't have a problem with pretend sex scenes in front of their friends, but they crossed the line in front of the rest of the school, especially accompanied by a song such as "touch a touch a touch a touch me". Everyone had agreed to the terms, because Lily made one hell of a Janet. Remus was nervous stepping up in front of everyone, the Gryffindor table being used to show a church aisle as the two walked down it, singing "Dammit Janet" with the accompaniment of Frank and Alice as Magenta and Riff Raff.

Remus's voice wasn't bad; it was a little thin and it cracked in some places, but he could hold a tune decently enough. Lily was far better than he was, but he enjoyed it nonetheless. It was an easier scene to start with, considering he was only wearing a suit, so nothing yet too scandalous. He did have to kiss Lily, but neither of them minded. It was just an act, a kiss between friends. It was no different from a platonic kiss on Lily's forehead or cheek that Remus would sometimes plant, and the scene ended without a hitch. Remus could feel his heart hammering in his chest, but it was more out of exhilaration than anything. There was the occasional heckling, mostly from bored or confused students, but he took no notice. He could barely hear them anyway over the sound of the music.