𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐒𝐨 𝐒𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

•°❀°•༢

I have been at home for three days now and it has been boring since I got home. I haven't left my room except to eat, wash, and use the bathroom. I couldn't tolerate listening to my mother's lies in front of my face.

Adrian and Harper came to check in with me every once in a while. Harper brought food and Adrian brought games to pass the time. I thanked them for the gesture, but I felt alone and frustrated. I didn't want to be here at all...
The sound of my alarm set off I groaned and rolled over, determined to ignore the rest of the day. A little voice says, "Ari" from outside the door I smile at the voice "Come in" I shout. The door opens "Are you coming to school today?" I thought about it. Should I?

In the past week, Harper has been coming into my room to find out if I am going to school and I normally say no. But today I think I need to go. I couldn't see her cute puppy eyes anymore.

Laughing, I respond, "Yes", and she asks, "Really?" She jumps onto my bed, "Then get up!" and shakes me "You're going to be late," she says. I lift myself off the bed "ok I'm up" she smiles "Breakfast is about to be done too." I nod standing up.

Jumping off the bed, she runs downstairs. "Hurry," she says and I go to the bathroom. I brush my teeth, wash my face, and take a quick shower. I walk back to my room and wear my uniform.

I grab my bag and rush downstairs. "Nobody is talking to me, Karen. What am I supposed to do?" Mary asks. I think she's on the phone and she is right nobody is talking to her. The only person who speaks to her sometimes is Harper, not me, not Robert, and not Adrian.

"I was just trying to protect my daughter," Mary says, her voice trembling. "I didn't mean to hurt her feelings." I shake my head and continue my way to the dining room. "I'm glad you're back to school," Harper says drinking the milk.

I smiled as I sat down beside her. "I'm feeling better now, Harper," I replied. "I promise I won't do it again." Harper nodded, her face still serious. Robert enters the dining room "Oh Ari you off to school today?" I nod my head yes. "Well, that's awesome " Mary comes inside the dining room placing four plates on the table "Here's breakfast" Everyone starts eating, and Mary smiles and says "I'm glad you're feeling better Ari, I don't want you returning to school sick". I plaster on a fake smile.

I don't respond, and continue eating. "Guess what came today?" everybody looks at Robert and Robert gives a cardboard box "What's this?" I ask lightly shaking the box "Open it" he says grinning. I open the box and it reveals a brand-new phone. My mouth drops as I remove the phone from the box. "You gave me a phone?" "You gave her a phone?" we both ask in a shocked tone.

Robert looks over at my mother "Yes she deserves it. I already programmed your number into it. I told Apple you lost your phone." My eyes widen in disbelief as I stare at the brand-new phone in my hands. "Thank you." I stand up and hug Robert. "We need to talk," my mother says as she stands up and leaves the dining room. "No problem sweetheart" Robert pats my hair before leaving the dining room as well.

"How come I didn't get a phone?" Harper pouts and I laugh before responding. "Harper, we talked about this already. We talked about why you don't need a phone." She sighs and turns away, clearly disappointed.

I smoothed her hair down, trying to calm her down. Harper, you're too young for a phone. You must know how to manage your time and energy now. A phone would inhibit that." The conversation in the other room begins to grow louder. Harper doesn't need to hear them. "Here. Play a game or whatever." I give Harper my phone to distract her from her parents' arguing.