S I X T Y - O N E

Cordelia's P.O.V.

"This will be the best meal you've ever had in your entire life."

Aegon repeats for the hundredth time today, but in his defense, he started drinking around eleven in the morning. I offer him an amused expression, not wanting to say anything to spoil his mood, and follow him along the hall to the sitting room. It is a long-standing tradition in the Targaryen household to engage in condescending conversations in the sitting room whilst the chefs are preparing the dinner table... Helaena's words, not mine.

"Also... Don't fill up on bread." Aegon mutters, his eyes darting toward me, as we reach a set of dark wood doors. "If I so much as see you glance at the bread, I'm tossing it out the window."

With a little huff and a flat expression, I shove his face and his knowing eyes in the opposite direction. He retaliates by giving me a wet raspberry kiss on my cheek and bumping my hip with his dramatically. I have the urge to shove him as hard as I can, but he is just intoxicated enough that it won't take much to knock him over.

You get stuffed on bread one time at an Italian restaurant, and you're damned for life. 

Opening the door to the sitting room for us, Aegon leads us inside to find his entire immediate family already there. Unsurprisingly, the room is just as pristine and luxurious as the rest of the house, with dark green curtains and real mahogany furniture. There's a rather large rug in the center of the room that looks like something out of a fairytale about kings and dragons. 

Helaena and Aemond stand by a grand fireplace on one wall, both holding a glass of wine while muttering things to each other. Seated across from each other at a cozy table near a window, Daeron and Viserys are deeply engrossed in a game of chess. An older man with a cellphone to his ear sits on one velvet couch, speaking to someone in a fixed and straight tone.

Across from the man I have yet to meet is a woman with beautiful wavy hair, silently sipping on her glass of wine. As I take in the sight before me, I instinctively run my hand down my dress in unease, feeling like I don't belong, even though the boys took precautions to make sure I wouldn't. I'm wearing the expensive dark green dress the boys bought me, but the fabric only causes me to feel more out of place.

"Aegon." I mumble in a hushed breath and turn to face only him, my hand fidgeting with a ring on my finger. "Are you sure-"

"You must be Cordelia Silvius." 

A sudden self-assured voice comes from behind me, and my back stiffens before I turn toward the sound. The woman who was previously seated on the couch is now standing in front of me, her eyes regarding me as though I'm a little cat surrounded by wolves. Her dress screams authority and importance, and her posture alone is overwhelming, like she was raised by wolves that bite. 

"I apologize for the delay in offering you a greeting, but work never sleeps." With a closed smile, a forced smile, she raises her hand for me to shake. "I'm the children's mother. Alicent Hightower."

"There is no need for apologizes, ma'am." I practically puke out the words at fast as I can while shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you... And thank you for letting me be here for Thanksgiving."

"Of course. It's always a... Treat... To meet one of Aegon's little friends." Her words sound forced, almost condescending, making me think back to what Helaena said about their family traditions. When she drops my hand, I note how her gaze lingers on my hair and skin before speaking again. "I must say... You don't look from around here."

"Oh, well, that is because I-"

"Cordelia is from Sunspear, the capital of Dorne." Aegon answers before I can do so for myself, and rests a gentle hand on my back. Before I can even frown or appear confused, Alicent's eyes brighten with interest while asking in a lighter tone than before. "The capital, you say? Well, now it all makes sense. Helaena thoroughly enjoyed her summer experience there and wishes to go back again. She got well acquainted with the Martell dynasty during her time there. I presume that is how you were both introduced?"