The call

Vicky POV

„You wanna tell me something don't you?" I asked Johansson after a moment of silent.

„Stan wanted to call Smiths family and yours to inform them about what happened." she answered shortly making my heart sink to the pit of my stomach.

„What did my mother say?" I questioned wanting to know how mad she was.

„He didn't call her. I told him I'd do it so he wouldn't have to endure two horrible phone calls. But I haven't done it yet because I wanted to talk to you before doing it. So I wouldn't expose the secret you kept from her." she explained and I was surprised on how genuine she was. That she really did this for me so I can have a say in it as well.

„She has to know it someday right.." I mumble and she nod.

„You shouldn't keep this from her forever."
She says and I sigh as I rubbed my eyes.

„I can't tell her what happened to me. She'd freak out even more. But I can tell her where I am right now." I say and to her.

„Do you want me to call her? If you want I can."
She offered and I shook my head.

„No I'll do it. It's a thing between me and her.
I don't wanna drag you into this. Can you pass me my phone please." I pointed out to my phone that was charging and she went to grab it for me.

„Do you want me to leave?" she asked as I dialed her number putting her on speaker.

„You can stay." I tell her and she sat down onto the edge of my bed.

„Herrera mi amor what a nice surprise of you to call! How are you doing hm? How is the medical school progressing? I hope it's good!" she says as she reminded me of my lies.

„Hi mama! I am fine! Doing great so far." I got caught up in a lie again cause I really wasn't doing fine. Heck I was shot I am everything else but fine.

„There is something I need to tell you." I added feeling how a lump in my throat is building up.

„Oh dear, please don't tell me you got yourself pregnant or something!" she sighs as she still doesn't know that I am into girls as well and way more active with them rather than with men.
I can see from the corner of my eye how Johansson raised a brow as she was surprised that my mom expected this type of „thing".

„No mama it's nothing like that." I tell her as I scratched the back of my head.

„I was lying about the medical school thing I am actually doing something else." I tell her.

„What is it then?" she asked me awaiting for an answer.

„I am at Quantico mama. I am here to become an FBI agent." silent filled the room as I felt how my heart was pumping scared of how my mama will react. I never wanted to disappoint her and I feel like I am doing it now.

„Herrera mi amor! Are you joking? Please tell me you are." she sounds more serious now.

„No mama, it's the truth."
„I am sorry." I added quietly feeling how Johansson watches me carefully.

„Ai dios mios! Victoria Herrera Garcia!! Have you lost your mind? Are you trying to get yourself killed?" she scolds me and I know it's bad once she uses my full name. I glanced to Johansson as she put her hand on my leg trying to comfort me signing me that she is here for me to step in if needed.

„Mama, I really want to do this."

„Are you doing this because of your father? Because he used to tell you that you aren't good enough? Mi amor you don't have to step into his footsteps. You know how he was and you know how this job made him a horrible person! I don't want you to end up like him." she continues and I kept my gaze away from Johansson feeling how she grows curious on what my mama is referring to.

„Mama please, I just-."

„Do your siblings know this?" she interrupted me making me sigh.

„No mama, I never told them."

„So you fly across the country to step into your father's footsteps? Mi amor you don't have to prove anything to him. He's gone. You can do whatever you want just please let this go."

„I can't okay! This is what I want and this is what I will continue doing! You can't stop me mama. I just wanted to let you know."

„Why are you telling me this now? You are already months deep into it. What made you change your mind?" she questioned as I glanced to my arm and then to Johansson feeling a bit clueless and under pressure not knowing if I should lie to her now again or if I should really tell her the whole truth.

„It's just..." I stopped earning an approving nod and squeeze from Johansson.

„I've had an accident and another trainee passed away. I am just overwhelmed and I wanted to tell you the truth. But I am doing good mama you don't have to worry really." I chocked out earning a silent moment yet again.

„So you wanted to tell me this because you came close to death?"

„Herrera, I hate to tell you this but you are already turning into your father if you continue with those lies! I am telling you this is a dangerous game and god forbid something else happened or something worse. I'd get a call from god knows who telling me my youngest daughter is dead." she replied hysterically making me feel guilty. She has a point.

But hearing her say that I turn into my father is a deep cut. Those words hurt and it shows as a tear drops down my face. „Mama please." I begged as I was holding back my sobbing not wanting to cry in front of my mother and definitely not in front of Johansson.

„I am really disappointed in you that you didn't come to me at the beginning before you flew off.
I wish we would have discussed this personally." she added.

„I couldn't do that mama I knew you'd hold me back." knowing that I wouldn't be able to leave when I'd see her disappointed and disapproving face.

„Mama I love you." I tell her wanting to hear it back trying to find out if she will love me either way. But the silence was deafening „Herrera I love you too." she added after a while making me let out a shaky sigh.

„Does this really make you happy mi amor?" she asked me and I swallowed the lump in my throat.
It actually doesn't. If I am being honest with myself it's a mixed feeling I have. I do this mainly to prove to my dead father that he was wrong about saying that I am not good enough. But now that I am doing it I am starting to find a liking in it.
But will I continue doing this for the rest of my life?

I am not sure yet...

...