It's nice to have a friend

The gym was filled with the familiar sounds of squeaking sneakers, the thump of basketballs against the hardwood floor, and the enthusiastic shouts of teammates. Caitlin was in the zone, focused on her drills, pushing herself harder with each passing moment. Practice was intense, but it was also her escape.

Suddenly, a commotion erupted near the entrance of the gym. Caitlin glanced over, her eyes widening in surprise. Standing there, with a big smile on her face, was Monika, an old teammate who had graduated last year. The rest of the team quickly noticed her, and a wave of excitement rippled through the gym. 

"Monika!" one of the girls shouted, and soon the entire team was rushing over, laughing and cheering as they surrounded their former teammate. Monika laughed, hugging each of them in turn. "I missed you all so much!" she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with joy. 

"I had some free time and thought I'd surprise you guys." Caitlin jogged over, her face breaking into a wide grin. "Monika! This is such a great surprise!" she said, wrapping her in a tight hug. 

"How have you been?" "I've been good, Cait," Monika replied, returning the hug. "Busy with work, but I missed you all too much to stay away any longer."

 As they chatted, Monika looked around, her expression curious. "Where's Vic?" she asked, glancing over Caitlin's shoulder. 

Caitlin chuckled, shaking her head. "She's in class right now. She's going to be so happy when she sees you."

Monika grinned. "I can't wait to see her. It's been too long." The teammates continued to buzz with excitement, gathering around Monika and bombarding her with questions about her life after graduation.

 As practice resumed, Monika stayed on the sidelines, cheering them on and offering tips, just like old times.

The dorm room was filled with laughter and chatter as Kate, Jada, Gabbie, Monika, and Caitlin hung out together. They were sprawled across the couches and floor, reminiscing about old times and catching up. 

Caitlin's phone buzzed on the coffee table, and she reached over to grab it. Seeing Victoria's name on the screen, she smiled and answered the call. 

"Hey, Vic," she greeted, her voice warm. "Hey, Cait. Sorry, I'm running a bit late," Victoria said apologetically. "I'll be at your place in like five minutes." Caitlin's grin widened. 

"No worries, I have a surprise for you." "A surprise, huh? Now I'm curious," Victoria replied, her tone playful. "You'll see soon enough," Caitlin said.

 The call ended, and Caitlin turned to the others. "Vic's on her way. Get ready to see her go absolutely crazy." A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Caitlin sprang up to answer it, opening the door to reveal Victoria, who looked slightly frazzled but relieved to finally be there. 

"Hey, Cait," Victoria said, stepping inside.  Before Caitlin could respond, Monika stood up from the couch, a wide smile on her face. "Surprise!" Victoria's eyes went wide, and for a moment, she was speechless. 

Then, with a joyful scream, she rushed forward and enveloped Monika in a tight hug. "Monika! Oh my god, I can't believe you're here!" she exclaimed, practically bouncing with excitement. Monika laughed, hugging her back just as tightly.

 "Surprise! I thought I'd drop by and see everyone." Victoria pulled back slightly, still holding onto Monika's shoulders. "This is amazing! How long are you here for? How have you been? Tell me everything!" 

Caitlin and the others watched with amused smiles as Victoria peppered Monika with questions. It was clear that Monika's visit meant a lot to her, and seeing Victoria so happy made Caitlin's heart swell with affection.