right where you left me

The aftermath of Caitlin's hard launch with Connor has left Victoria and Caitlin in a state of complete silence. Their mutual friends are stunned, as the two were inseparable before the breakup. The sudden and public announcement of Caitlin's new relationship with Connor feels like a knife to Victoria's heart, and the fact that Caitlin hasn't reached out to explain or even acknowledge the situation makes it all the worse. 

Victoria is a shell of her former self. She spends her days in a fog of sadness and disbelief, replaying the events over and over in her mind. She feels utterly betrayed by Caitlin, someone she once trusted. Every reminder of Caitlin and Connor together is like salt in an open wound, and Victoria struggles to find solace in anything. 

Their mutual friends are at a loss. They've tried to mediate, to reach out to both sides, but their efforts have been in vain. The group is fractured, with everyone unsure of how to navigate the tension. Some are sympathetic to Victoria, offering her comfort and support, while others are confused by Caitlin's actions, struggling to reconcile the person they thought they knew with the one who has caused so much pain. 

Victoria's devastation is obvious. She isolates herself more and more, finding it hard to participate in social gatherings where she might run into Caitlin or hear about her new relationship. The friends who have stuck by her try to lift her spirits, but the betrayal feels too fresh, too raw. 

The situation leaves a lingering unease among their circle of friends. The once tight-knit group is now walking on eggshells, trying to support Victoria while grappling with their own feelings about Caitlin's abrupt and hurtful actions.

As the new school year begins, Victoria is preparing for her senior year alongside her close friends Kate and Gabbie. The air is filled with a mix of excitement and nostalgia as they move into their dorms, ready to tackle their final year together. 

Kate is helping Victoria move her things into the dorm room, chatting animatedly to lighten the mood. Victoria struggles to carry a heavy box into the room, and Kate quickly steps in to help. They place the box down with a thud, and Victoria takes a deep breath, looking around the room that will be her home for the next year. 

The familiarity of campus brings a sense of comfort, a welcome distraction from the turmoil of the summer.

 As they start unpacking, Victoria breaks the silence. "So, how's your basketball season looking? When does practice start?" 

Kate, always enthusiastic about her sport, brightens up at the question. "It's looking good! We have a solid team this year. Practice starts next Monday. I'm really excited to get back on the court." 

Victoria forces a smile, genuinely happy for her friend but feeling a pang of anxiety. "That's awesome. I know you're going to crush it this season." 

Kate pauses for a moment, sensing Victoria's underlying tension. She hesitates before speaking, knowing the topic might be sensitive." Oh, and by the way, will you still be shooting photos for the team? We all love your work." 

Victoria grins for the first time in a while, feeling a spark of excitement. "Of course! I wouldn't miss it for anything." Kate's eyes light up. 

"Great! The team will be thrilled. Also, Emma misses you. Do you want to go out with us tonight? She'd love to catch up." Victoria's heart warms at the thought of spending time with her friends. 

"I'd love to. It's been too long. You two are so cute" As they continue to unpack, the conversation shifts to lighter topics, filled with laughter and shared memories. 

As Victoria finishes unpacking with Kate, she realizes she left a few things in her car. Excusing herself, she steps outside into the crisp, late summer air, heading towards the parking lot. The campus is bustling with the energy of students settling in, but for Victoria, everything feels strangely distant.

 As she reaches her car and opens the trunk, she looks up and freezes. Standing a few feet away is Caitlin. Their eyes lock, and for a moment, the world seems to stand still. Neither of them moves, caught in a painfully awkward silence. 

They just stand there, staring at each other like deer caught in headlights, the weight of unspoken words hanging heavily between them. Caitlin hesitates, her lips parting as if she wants to say something. Victoria's heart pounds in her chest, a mix of anger, sadness, and longing surging through her. 

She can't bear to hear whatever Caitlin might say, not now. She quickly grabs the bags from her trunk, her hands trembling, and slams it shut. Without giving Caitlin another glance, Victoria turns on her heel and walks briskly back to her dorm.

 Tears blur her vision, but she keeps her head high, determined not to let Caitlin see her cry. The lump in her throat grows as she fights back the sobs threatening to escape. Entering her dorm room, she barely acknowledges Kate, who looks up with concern. 

Victoria hastily wipes away the tears, trying to compose herself. Kate doesn't press for details, understanding that Victoria needs space. Victoria puts down her things and takes a deep breath, the encounter with Caitlin leaving her more shaken than she'd like to admit. She sits down, her mind racing, the image of Caitlin's face still vivid in her memory.

After the unsettling encounter with Caitlin, Victoria feels an overwhelming need for comfort and guidance. She decides to visit her grandmother.

 Making her way across campus, she fights to keep her emotions in check. Victoria enters the athletics building and walks down the familiar hallway to her grandmother's office. The door is slightly ajar, and she can hear the soft murmur of a phone conversation. 

She knocks gently, and Coach Bluder looks up, immediately sensing that something is wrong. "Come in, Vic," Coach Bluder says warmly, hanging up the phone. "What's going on?" 

Victoria steps inside, trying to muster a smile. "Hi, Grandma. I just needed to talk." Coach Bluder gets up from behind her desk, her eyes full of concern. 

"Of course, honey. Are you okay?"

 Victoria tries to nod, but the weight of her emotions is too much to bear. "Yeah, I—" she starts, but her voice cracks and she breaks down, tears streaming down her face.

 Without hesitation, Coach Bluder crosses the room and envelops Victoria in a tight hug. "It's gonna be alright," she whispers soothingly, rubbing Victoria's back in comforting circles.

 "Let it out, sweetheart." Victoria clings to her grandmother, sobbing into her shoulder. The warmth and familiarity of her grandmother's embrace provide a small sense of relief, even as the pain of seeing Caitlin again feels raw and fresh.

 Coach Bluder holds her granddaughter, letting her cry until the sobs gradually subside. "You're strong, Vic," she murmurs.

 "I know things are tough right now, but you have so many people who love and support you. We'll get through this together." 

Victoria pulls back slightly, wiping her eyes. "Thanks, Grandma. I just didn't expect to see her today. It threw me off." 

"I know, honey. It's hard, but you don't have to face this alone. We're all here for you," Coach Bluder reassures her. 

Feeling a bit more composed, Victoria nods. "I know. I'm lucky to have you." Coach Bluder smiles and squeezes Victoria's hand. "And I'm lucky to have you, too. Now, why don't we get some tea and talk more? Or just sit quietly, whatever you need." 

Victoria nods, grateful for the offer. As they settle into the comfortable chairs in her grandmother's office, she dries her tears and tries to distract herself from the encounter with Caitlin.