the great escape

It was the night before Vic left and they were all hanging out at Kates apartment. The night was filled with laughter and the familiar sounds of friends enjoying each other's company. Kate's apartment was cozy and warm, with dim lighting casting a soft glow over the group

Victoria, Kate, Gabbie, and Jada were sprawled across the living room, talking animatedly and sharing stories. Victoria was in high spirits, her excitement for her upcoming trip to England obvious.

She had worked so hard for this opportunity, and now that it was finally here, she could hardly contain her joy. Amidst the chatter and laughter, Caitlin sat quietly, her mind elsewhere. 

She was on the edge of the group, her expression thoughtful and distant. Victoria noticed Caitlin's unusual silence and felt a pang of concern. She excused herself from the conversation and made her way over to Caitlin, sitting down beside her on the couch. 

"Hey," Victoria said softly, nudging Caitlin's shoulder. "You okay?" Caitlin looked up, forcing a smile. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just... thinking." Victoria frowned, not buying it.

 "Come on, Cait. What's going on in that head of yours?" Caitlin sighed, glancing around to make sure the others weren't listening. They were too engrossed in their conversation to notice.

 "I guess I'm just worried about you leaving. I know it's only for a few months, but... I can't help it." Victoria's expression softened. 

She reached out and took Caitlin's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "It's going to be okay. We can make this work, I promise." 

Caitlin bit her lip, her eyes betraying her uncertainty. "I know. It's just... it's going to be hard not having you around. We've never been apart for this long." 

"I know," Victoria said gently.

 "But we'll talk every day. We can do this, Cait. We just have to trust each other and stay strong." Caitlin nodded, though the worry in her eyes remained

. "I trust you, Vic. It's just... I'm going to miss you so much." Victoria smiled and leaned in, pressing a kiss to Caitlin's forehead.

 "I'll miss you too. But we'll get through it. And when I come back, it'll be like I never left." 

Caitlin nodded again, her smile finally reaching her eyes. "Yeah, you're right. We'll make it work."

 Victoria pulled Caitlin into a hug, holding her close. "I love you, Cait." 

"I love you too, Vic," Caitlin whispered, hugging her back tightly. The others continued their conversation, oblivious to the quiet moment happening on the couch. 

Victoria and Caitlin stayed like that for a while, finding comfort in each other's presence as they prepared for the challenges ahead. --- The night wore on, and the group eventually gathered around the table for a final toast to Victoria. 

Kate poured sparkling water into glasses, and they all raised them high. "To Vic," Kate declared, grinning. "May you have an amazing time in England and come back an insufferable literature  student " 

"Cheers!" everyone echoed, clinking their glasses together.

 Victoria laughed, feeling a swell of gratitude for her friends. "Thanks, guys. I'll miss you all so much." After the toast, the mood lightened, and they continued to chat and joke around.

 But Victoria couldn't shake the feeling of Caitlin's earlier worry. As the night drew to a close and they began to say their goodbyes, she made a silent promise to herself to do everything she could to make the distance bearable for both of them. The next morning, Victoria would be leaving for England, but tonight, she was surrounded by the people she loved most.