back to the moment I crashed into you

The morning light filters through the curtains, casting a soft glow over the room as Victoria stirs from her sleep. As she slowly becomes aware of her surroundings, she feels the warmth of another body pressed against her own. 

Turning slightly, she sees Caitlin lying beside her, their bodies tangled together in a tangle of limbs and blankets. For a moment, Victoria allows herself to savor the closeness, the comforting weight of Caitlin's presence. 

But as the fog of sleep begins to lift, the events of the previous night come rushing back, and Victoria's heart clenches with a mixture of confusion and regret. Sensing Victoria's movement, Caitlin stirs as well, her eyes fluttering open as she becomes aware of their proximity. 

There's a moment of shared recognition between them, a silent acknowledgment of the intimacy of their embrace. Awkwardness settles over them like a heavy blanket, and they both instinctively pull away, creating a physical distance between them.

The air between them feels charged with unspoken words and unresolved emotions, and Victoria's heart aches with the weight of it all. Neither of them knows quite what to say, and the silence stretches between them, heavy and stifling. 

They both avoid each other's gaze, their eyes fixed on some point in the room that isn't each other. Caitlin rises from the bed, breaking the tension with a soft spoken promise. "I'm gonna get you some water," she says, her voice gentle yet tinged with unease. 

Victoria watches her go, feeling a mix of relief and apprehension. When Caitlin returns with the water, Victoria accepts it gratefully, their fingers brushing briefly as she takes the glass.

 As Caitlin settles beside her on the bed, Victoria takes a sip of water, the cool liquid soothing her parched throat. "How much do you remember from last night?" Caitlin asks cautiously, her eyes searching Victoria's face for any hint of recollection. 

Victoria's brow furrows as she struggles to piece together the events of the previous night. After a moment of hesitation, she mumbles softly, "Everything." 

The weight of her words hangs heavy in the air, and Caitlin's heart sinks at the realization that Victoria remembers their conversation, remembers her confession. A heavy silence descends between them, the air thick with unspoken emotions. 

Caitlin searches for the right words, wanting to bridge the gap between them, to find a way to navigate the situation. But as Victoria meets her gaze, Caitlin sees a glimmer of understanding in her eyes.

As Victoria gathers her things and gets ready to leave, a heavy silence hangs between them. They stand together in front of the door, their hearts heavy with the weight of the moment. 

With a sad smile on her lips, Victoria breaks the silence. "I get it," she says softly, her voice tinged with resignation. 

Caitlin nods in understanding, her own expression reflecting the pain of their shared history. "I'll see you around?" she asks tentatively, a note of uncertainty in her voice.

 "Yeah," Victoria replies quietly, her voice barely above a whisper. 

As Victoria quietly murmured, "Yeah," the air between them seemed to shift. They stood there for a moment, a silent understanding passing between them, until Victoria took a step forward, closing the distance between them. 

With a sudden movement, Victoria wrapped her arms around Caitlin's neck, pulling her into a tight embrace. Caitlin was momentarily taken aback, her breath catching in her throat, but then she instinctively wrapped her arms around Victoria's waist, holding her close. 

In that moment of vulnerability, tears welled up in Caitlin's eyes, her facade crumbling as she whispered, "I'm sorry," her voice thick with emotion. 

Victoria responded with gentle reassurance, rubbing Caitlin's back in a soothing motion. They held onto each other tightly. With a final, bittersweet goodbye, they parted ways, Victoria steps out into the hallway, the door closing softly behind her.