The Competition Begins

Pyramid

"Eva, we have to go! We can't be late on the first day!" My mom yells from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yell as I take one last look through my dance bag, making sure I have everything.

It's the new competition season and I'm super excited! There's only going to be one thing different this year, we're getting filmed now. Me and some of my friends get to be on a TV show together!

I run downstairs. "Do you have everything?" My mom asks and I nod.

After a thirty minute car ride, we arrive at the studio! I'm so excited!

"Hi Abby," Mom says as we walk through the main entrance and into the dancer's den.

"Chloe!" I say as I see her walk in. I give her a big hug and we laugh.

"Are you excited?" Chloe asks me.

"Super excited!" I say, "We get to be on TV!"

All the girls and moms laugh.

Abby comes into the den, "Girls, let's get into the studio."

We walk in and I take a seat between Chloe and Paige.

"Alright girls, it's the first day of a new competition season," Ms. Abby says, "Ladies, you all know why you're here. You are the cream of the crop in your age group and I have lots of new ideas in store for you."

"I'm going to do something that no other studio in the country will do," Ms. Abby says and we all look at her confused, "Every single competition, we are doing a new routine."

We all look at our moms to see their reactions.

"Ah, ah, ah, girls, don't look at your mothers, look at me. I am the coach, I am the teacher. I can make you, or I can break you."

Abby flips around a giant chalkboard that has all our pictures by it. Maddie's at the very top and I'm right under her, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

 Maddie's at the very top and I'm right under her, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not

"Everybody wants to be on top," she points to Maddie's picture, "but you have to work for it. Everybody wants to be front and center, I hear it all the time. Whoever's in the front and center can't make a mistake. They are holding the group together."

"So, at the top right here, I have Maddie because she is dedicated and because of her stellar record last year. Maddie, are you ready to be front and center? Our first competition is going to be in Phoenix, Arizona. I chose this competition because I want you to experience some of the best competition teams in the country. We are going to do two new numbers. A high energy, really cute, adorable routine with Maddie, Eva, Chloe, Brooke, Paige, and Nia. And also a trio with Maddie, Chloe, and Paige. Mackenzie, you are too young to compete at West Coast Dance Explosion, but you're still gonna come with us. Moms, you're dismissed, girls, start stretching."