She's A Fighter

"Last weekend we were in Providence, Rhode Island, an hour outside of Boston, some of the most prestigious dance studios in the country were there. Touch schools, tough competition, but you really held your own and you  won that victory cup. You killed it. I'm very proud!" Abby says, "Now, let's talk about the competition coming up this weekend. We are going to Star Power in Connecticut. We can't forget anything at this competition since it's a resort. So, we will have a wardrobe for each day we are going to be there, just like the old school days. And you will pack here in front of me so I know that you have everything. Let's talk about the board. First of all, everybody worked together as a team. That teamwork is gonna help us in the long run. Teamwork and technic. Those are the two things we are going to focus on this week. Eva, you were our big winner at regionals. Congratulations, I was very proud. Moms, we are doing another new number. We need to work harder than we have ever worked before. We need to show up and walk in there like we own the place. Maddie, you have a solo. Nia, you have a solo. Eva, you have a solo. I'm also going to do a trio with Chloe, Paige, and Eva. It's a contemporary dance to a song from a Broadway show called Dear Evan Hansen. Moms, you are dismissed, girls start stretching."

We start by working on a ballet bar

"Tighten your calves," Abby says to Maddie, "Stronger arm, stronger arm, stronger arm," She says as she keeps slapping Maddie's arm. "Posse," Abby says.
_____________
Trio Rehearsal

Abby starts to teach us our number and I love it. It's very pretty and I really like it. I've never seen the musical that this song is from, but my mom always tells me that she dreams of taking me to see this dance on Broadway one day.

"Have any of you seen this musical?" Abby asks us and we all shake our heads, "Okay, I'm gonna tell you what this song is about then. A boy, Evan Hansen, feels like he doesn't fit in and he's waving through a window, but nobody can see him, therefore ignoring him. Eva, you are going to be our lead in this dance. You are going to portray Evan Hansen. You will be interacting with the other two and they will pretend you aren't there. ."

I'm excited to do this dance though because I'm the lead!

We all go out into the hallway and meet up with the rest of the girls from the team.

"Okay guys, here are your packing lists, I didn't go into much detail since you travel away all the time," Abby says, handing us our packing lists, "I wanna go and work on Eva's solo now."
____________
Solo Rehearsal

"Your solo this week is called Shatter Me and it's a character dance. I know you like those," Abby tells me, "You are portraying a haunted doll."

Abby begins to teach me my solo and it's super creepy and cool. It reminds me a lot about the dance we did last week. "Keep your moves small at the beginning!" Abby yells. I try to keep my moves small, but I really don't know how to keep a pirouette contained.

"God, what is wrong with you?!" Abby yells, "Gianna, do you think she's keeping her moves small at the beginning here?"

"I mean," Gia starts, "I think she's trying, but no."