don't speak too soon

chapter title: the times they are a-changing by bob dylan

"I'm going to ask you something," Remus said. He leaned casually on the solid wood library table, "and you can't get mad."

"...okay?" James quirked an eyebrow and stuck a bookmark between the pages of his charms textbook. Barty tilted his head, studying Remus very intently. Regulus cleared his throat.

"Do the two of you need privacy?" Regulus directed his question at Remus. He had a sinking feeling he already knew what this was about.

"No, I'm fine asking him right here." Remus stared at James intently. "Did you take it?"

"Take what?" James asked, feigning confusion. Remus crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"The map is gone."

"What do you mean it's gone?"

"After he took it from you..." Remus sat down at their table, squeezing in next to Pandora. "Padfoot hid it somewhere. This morning he went to use it and it was just... gone."

"That sounds like his problem."

"James." Remus leaned toward him and lowered his voice. "They both think it was you. Tell me the truth, I understand your situation, I'd forgive you if you took it. I won't tell them. I promise." James stared at him mutely. "Here, I really mean it."

Remus extended a pinkie. A sacred gesture, for him. James debated for a moment longer, then succumbed to his guilt and Remus' persistent mossy-brown stare. He locked his pinkie with his.

"Yeah, it was me," he admitted. "I needed it."

"What for?" Remus didn't look even a bit surprised.

"You know what for. I think my purposes are bit more important than pulling pranks on—"

"Yeah, yeah." Remus quirked an eyebrow. "You know, you're better at lying than you used to be, but you still have a tell."

"What is it?"

Remus poked the corner of his mouth.

"You frown just a little, here. I'd work on that." James swatted his hand away from his face, Remus grinned. "I'll tell them whatever you want me to. It's stupid they're mad you took it. I think Sirius is more mad you nicked it, instead of asking him for it, than he is about you using it for nefarious purposes. He's being a child."

"When has Sirius ever taken time to make a mature, rational evaluation of a situation instead of just focusing on his first emotional reaction?" Remus grimaced. "He's going to bite my head off as soon as I set foot in the dorm, isn't he?"

"Most definitely." Remus smiled a wide, toothy smile, his eyes crinkling at the corners. He slapped James on the back. "Good luck, mate."

"Hey, wait, wait, Moony." James grabbed his scarred forearm. He stilled. "Do you want to study for charms with us?"

"Do you really think that's a good idea?" Remus glanced around the table. Barty, Evan, Pandora, and Regulus were all sitting around it as mute as a school of fish.

"I mean, you and Wormtail already had it out." Remus sighed deeply. "We've talked about it." James pouted, and poured every bit of charm he had into his face, and his words. "Come on, Moons. I miss you. You're my best friend."

"Sirius is your best friend. You liar."

"Was my best friend," James corrected, managing not to wince. He looked up at Remus intently, and sweetly.