Chapter 40

Lehar POV

We sat in front of Pihu and she was staring at us with her big eyes. We could clearly see she could tear up any second. First, Arjun spoke to Pihu and told her how he was an absent husband which made Prisha assume he did not love her which is the reason she left him. 

After that, I told her that because of the misconceptions Prisha moved away and then died in an accident handing her to me, making me the official guardian while I adopted as my daughter soon. 

Pihu: So, Arjun is my dad ?

I nodded 

Pihu: My real mom is dead ?

I nodded again with tears when I could see how shattered Pihu was with the truth. Imagine thinking a certain aspect to be the truth but it was all a lie. 

Pihu: You are not my mom at all ?

Me: I am your mom Pihu, I adopted you. 

Pihu: Because my real mom gave me to you before dying 

Me: Yes, but I always ...

Pihu: Nope, it was just a compulsion for you right ? A responsibility ?

Me: Pihu, look at me darling, you know I really love you ...I 

Pihu: I need to be alone Lehar ...

She stopped calling me mom, she just pushed me away from her. I gulped in sadness and nodded so that she could walk away. Raghav slowly put his hands around my shoulders, his eyes held a silent apology and regret in his eyes.

Me: Can you do me a favor ? Could you please check on her ? I need to gather myself, alone

He nodded and went of to be of Pihu's aid while I stood there suddenly feeling alone. All my life I only saw myself as a mother. That was the only recognition I had, now it was snatched away. Pihu was a child, it was a lot of information for her but I already over thought that she is cutting me off.

Arjun: She will come around. She loves you a lot.

Me: I know she did but she also feels betrayed by life in general, because whatever she thought was a truth happened to be a lie.

Arjun: Lehar, please stay strong okay ? She will ...

Me: I will be okay 

I walked out in to the gardens until I felt myself being draped with a shawl and the familiar touch engulf me

Raghav: I know you, I can see that you are very shattered right now. You hate me this second dont you ?

Me: I might not know what to say. I might wish that things go back to where they were but I dont hate you. I need some time alone.

Raghav: Understood

He was about to leave when I held his hand

Me: Is she okay ?

He sat back again and sighed sadly

Raghav: She will be fine after a while

I nodded understanding the underlying meaning that Pihu was very angry and sad. I stood up and briskly walked with anger and sadness. Raghav just stood there watching me silently, once I started tearing up he picked me in his arms and took me to our room.

The whole night he held me while I cried in his arms. The whole week that followed Pihu did not talk to me. She has grown silent, she just kept to herself and she only spoke to her grand parents.

I tried to speak to her but she looked down and walked away. I could not eat or sleep properly being away from my baby. It was tough as hell that it took a toll on my health because of constant crying.

My head ached and I could not eat properly when Pihu dismissed me like that. Raghav gave me my time when I kind of flaked out. One day late at night we heard a knock, he opened the door and Pihu stood in the door way.

Me: Pihu ? Please come in ...

She looked at me but ignored me. She looked at Raghav and spoke

Pihu: May I come in ? I am entering a strangers room right? Need to take permission ..

She said that looking at me sharply and that pained me

Raghav: Pihu, you dont have to ...

Me: Raghav, ask her why she is here 

If she takes the path of being cold then I can play the same game. Yes, I miss her and she can take all the time to understand and get habituated to the truth but she cannot be rude.  She looked shocked at my cold question and frowned. She gulped and continued talking.

Pihu: I have some questions 

Me: Ask her what are the questions Raghav 

Pihu: I need to know about my mother, my real mother. Want to see her pictures and ask about her.

I scowled at her and answered 

Me: Sure

I went and got the laptop which had her soft copies of pictures. She looked at everything in wonder and astonishment.

Pihu: She was beautiful 

Me: She was 

Pihu: Did she love me ?

Me: More than her own life

Pihu: Why did she trust a total stranger like you with a baby she loved?

Me: I was her friend and she was like my elder sister. We grew up together at her place. My dad was her teacher, he taught her sword fights, self defence. He was also the main security incharge who trained people in the mansion. My mom was her music and dance teacher. 

Pihu: Why did she hate my dad so much that rather than choosing him she choose you to be the guardian

Me: She had a misunderstanding. She thought he did not love her and she felt he was better off without her. She knew your father was a good leader for the villages. 

Pihu was trying to understand whatever she could

Me: He was a good leader who cared about people so, she never wanted to disrespect him by leaving him publicly and scandalize his life. She knew he was forced to form a union with her because of his parents. She felt like it was injustice for him and her to stay in loveless mararige. So, she went away to city with us. We were very close as my parents have been with that family since ages. 

Pihu: Didnt she care about what would happen to me ? A girl without a father ?

Me: She thought no one would be happy in a loveless marraige. She did not know if he wanted a future with her. 

Pihu: But he did right ?

Me: Yes, but I got to know it only now

She nodded and left with head held up high. Damn, she can be head strong when needed. 

Raghav: Where do you think she learnt the drama ?

Me: Dont ask me. I am as surprised as you are.

That was the first time we laughed after two weeks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All,

Here is the new update

Please vote and comment

Regards,

Indu